Pans? green vs black

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a green horn and never panned before I took everyone's opinions in to consideration when I ordered my pans and classifiers. I ordered them last Friday morning, received an e-mail they had shipped that afternoon and they arrived yesterday! Talk about service.
Anyways I got a Green Garrett 14 inch and Blue 10 inch for final clean up. I will be out this weekend to try them out and will take pictures and post back on how they preformed for someone just starting out. Oh, and I have to wear old man glasses now just to find the door so if they preform for me they will work for anybody. LOL
I will say that just holding them in my hands got me thrilled to embark on this new chapter in my life. I have been daydreaming reading all the posts here and already picturing that first little speck of yellow.
Everyone's comments and advice on Tnet is greatly appreciated and I look forward to the day when my knowledge , learned from all of you and the school of hard knocks can be passed along to another dreamer like me. I will probably be able to start out telling them what not to do first. LOL

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
20140407_154802-1.jpg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been using green ever since I was a greenhorn.......

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have green Garrett pans, black Keene pans, blue pans, other black pans, other green pans; some with narrow bottoms, some with wide bottoms. I also have an old metal iron pan near 20" in diameter. It is rusted and basically I use it as a safety pan.

I like my green, not too narrow bottom pan the best. I think I see the gold vs. the black sands better and all I ever get is fine stuff, so I want to be able to see it as best as I can. Just my 2 cents.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The further apart on a color wheel the greater the contrast.

Blue is opposite of yellow on a color wheel so a pan the shade of blue should be the easiest to see gold.

What are Contrasting Colors?

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most important is the size of the pans FLAT bottom. See Reeds pics,keene big green /proline blue or black don't matter to me but large bottom most important for initial panning be it fresh gravels or cons. Preclassification is as important,if not more,than any colors made. John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most important is the size of the pans FLAT bottom. See Reeds pics,keene big green /proline blue or black don't matter to me but large bottom most important for initial panning be it fresh gravels or cons. Preclassification is as important,if not more,than any colors made. John
Again, the master speaks, thanks John!... Listen close all.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed, who is frank and how do i order one of his pans?

Frank Sullivan owned Pioneer Mining Supplies in Auburn Ca. He sold it to his daughter Heather but he still owns the patent for the blue bowl and his gold pan. They are widely available from many dealers including Keene. Google "Pioneer Gold Pan" and it will give you tons of places to order from. Definitely get the blue finish pan over everything else :-)

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day I thought I had died and went to heaven when I found my first green pan.. mainly because of it's weight.. then I learned to appreciate it's color and have stuck with it ever since.. the old metal pan has served a great purpose though.. it has been the doggie dish for three generations of dogs...

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Amen !!!!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a comparison of many unique gold pans:

http://goldrushgang.com/gold-pans.pdf

wow, good informative read!
has anyone here tried using one of the Dulang pans? seems like it would work well as long as you keep everything liquefied. Vigorous circular motions i would think drive the gold straight into the bottom of the "V" trapping it under the black sands and keeping it safe. id like to try it out some day.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, good informative read!
has anyone here tried using one of the Dulang pans? seems like it would work well as long as you keep everything liquefied. Vigorous circular motions i would think drive the gold straight into the bottom of the "V" trapping it under the black sands and keeping it safe. id like to try it out some day.

The Dulang pans do work very well due to the fact that they have no flat bottom and come to a point. The problem with a large flat bottom is that you can not stratify very well. With a large bowl type pan that comes to a point the heavies are easily stratified and contained in the bottom cone. The batea pans also work well for the same reasons.

You can buy metal batea's from: Goldpans Expensive but will last forever and are great at keeping the gold in the pan. The grizzly option is also worth getting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread