Lake Michigan

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why yes I have. I tried panning Lake Michigan. I found black sand layers on the beach just north of Navy Pier in central Chicago! It was fun being the weird dude with the gold pan on the beach ;-)

On Goldfever, Tom Massie ran a Goldgetter on the beach in Chicago and found gold on his show... I didn't.

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Panned around empire/ Stormer point and pyramid point beaches on lake Michigan, Lots of black sand. No gold though for me anyway

OP
OP
Stewie53110

Stewie53110

Greenie
Aug 4, 2013
Well, I gave Lake Michigan a good try this weekend. Due to a BIG lesson learned letting a friend gouge up my pans with sandpaper, I got nothing out of it but some time in the sand. Its still some experience though.
What gold I may have found is so tiny that grabbing it is presenting a big challenge. I'm not sure how to collect the tiny grains.
Better luck next time....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Next time try a river or creek with larger rocks...that's where the larger gold flakes are hiding!

Maybe attend a local club meeting or outing to get pointed at gold bearing spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread