Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

hillbilly61

Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I tried the shake n bake (outside) with a spoonful of BS just to see what happened. First let me say I found 1 color (-150) :-) BUT the thing that intrigues me, is at the very end of panning this, I have a (for no better words) a "layer" of copper colored material left. Any idea what this might be? Also it's going to take a LONG time to shake n bake this whole 5 gal bucket of BS cons I've been saving to re pan at another time :-(

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
^^^great info!^^^

Thanks for sharing. Sound like fun for me this winter too :) (even tho I do get out lots on cold sunny days as ya know)

...and I'm going to keep my eyes open for a coffee grinder at a garage sale as I only have one and I do use it for coffee now and then.

PS you may be interested to know that a friend and I ran three fire assays on our non-magnetic -50 cons after removing all the visible gold. It came out at 3oz Au per ton! Now if only I had tons of it LoL...the real point was to get a sense of how much gold we were chasing with techniques like bake n break. It is enough to be worth chasing with Denver cons...when you can't dig at least.

Kevin, so this 3 opt was with Denver non-mag concs? Great, now if I can remember which were Denver, which were Breckenridge and which were Arkansas River concs!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Note* Acetic acid (white Vinegar) +sodium chloride (table salt)=sodium acetate (liquid) and chlorine (gas). The chlorine gas that is released is minute and should not be harmful but use caution anyway.

GG~

I don't think so. No chlorine gas formed. The chloride is still in the form of chloride ions in water. If this were a problem, I doubt people would be putting salt and vinegar on foods. Vinegar is only 5% acetic acid after all.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, so this 3 opt was with Denver non-mag concs? Great, now if I can remember which were Denver, which were Breckenridge and which were Arkansas River concs!
Yup. One refinement...my friend was able to put that assay bead in a mass spectrometer and learned that the bead was 78%gold with the rest mostly silver plus traces of tungsten and a few other metals. So about 2.4 oz per ton of gold to be really accurate. Still an awesome outcome.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to resurrect a 3 page post but i have some news to share. i work in the IT industry fixing servers and parts for servers. Hard drives (which hold data) have quite strong magnets in them. ive been collecting said magnets. if anyone needs some, let me know and we can work out how i can get you some. (most likely for free!)

Just as a point of reference. i cant pull one of these magnets off of my fridge unless i slide it to the edge. These things are ridiculously strong.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to resurrect a 3 page post but i have some news to share. i work in the IT industry fixing servers and parts for servers. Hard drives (which hold data) have quite strong magnets in them. ive been collecting said magnets. if anyone needs some, let me know and we can work out how i can get you some. (most likely for free!) Just as a point of reference. i cant pull one of these magnets off of my fridge unless i slide it to the edge. These things are ridiculously strong.

Hey Duckwalk, I gathered a bunch of those magnets and handed them out for free at a local prospecting club meeting. Got a lot of smiles in return. To use them, I stick a big bolt on one side of the magnet to use as a handle, then I put the magnet into a yogurt cup and wave the cup over the pan of material to draw up the magnetic material. That way all I have to do to drop the magnetic sand is lift the magnet out of the cup!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread