Gold panning kern river

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup! It was man down indeed... But not for long! He took 800mg of motren and continued mission...for 2 days until I took him to the ER! He might only be 11 but he's stronger then some of the men I serve with. I am proud of you Alex!

I love to see your support and admiration for your son. Thanks for not only your service but also for being an awesome dad who supports his son's passions. Through gold prospecting you are sharing an experience with your son that teaches him SO much about the value of hard work, preparation and so on. I'm sure he will always be closer to you for all this quality time together too! Well done!!

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Down Time means Research Time. I can't stress this enough, the Finding is 80 to 85 percent of RESEARCH or Research is the VITAL CLUE to whatever your looking for. Gold and other Valuable Metals and Minerals are Mother Nature's Creations that are Geologically Connected and usually by Geography. FAULTS are what Geologists call "STRUCTURES", they are like what the old movie "The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart" are, "the things Dreams are made of". Study, do in-depth study of the Structures in the Gold Bearing Areas of your interest, Desert or Mountains. California is Cracked with multi-thousands of faults, structures. Visit a Seismic Museum to get the full perspective, they usually have lot's of maps and books. When you read or find a piece of Quartz, think about where it came from or how it became to be. Old Time Miners call Quartz "HOT ICE" for a Reason, wherever quartz is found, there's a fault close by in most cases. Of all of the Treasure Stories that you've read on Lost Gold Mines and alike, you could take a story and narrow it down just by finding the fault or structure in the neighborhood. The Kern River Canyon for the most part rides or cuts through a fault. The Dam of Isabella was built on top of a Fault, that's what has everybody up there nervous about. If you haven't been to the Museum in Kernville Alex, have your Dad take you, it's well WORTH IT. It will give you a greater perspective of that area along with the History and they have lot's of books and Maps and they are close to the Ranger Station and they also have Books and Maps. In my perspective, the Museums are better than the Internet ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. SHERWIN PASS is North of Kernville, that's where BRUSH CREEK is, there's Old Myths and Legends (with some supporting Fact) that the Old Mexican and Spanish Mined Gold up in that area back when California belonged to them. If I found Gold up there (which ofcourse I have) then you can too. It's the Road to Kennedy Meadows, there's MAGNIFICENT SLIDE FALLS (you can see from the road as your traveling to Kennedy Meadows), just past that point, look on the mountainside for a Faint Trail with rock supports, that's a Old Burro Trail built by the Mexican/Spanish Miners, there's Old Spanish Trail Signs and Symbols in that area and then there's also a Rural Campground a little farther up (Look for the Heliport at the Entrance). Cattleman and Miners and hordes of Old Abandoned Mines scatter the area. BIGFOOT !, Yes I mean SASQUATCH, has been sighted and recorded up there as well. The Old Timers up there know that area for the Giant WALNUT TREES that are found within the Campground area and the Trout Fishing ain't bad either, hee,hee.......Good Luck with Your Arm....Darrell

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
I think it's Sherman Pass, I stand corrected, can't remember, anyhow it's Brush Creek that runs out of it and meets the Kern River. It's a Staging Area for the people that run the Rafting. I've camped there without impunity from the Forestry, right next to the Big Granite Rock formations along the creek, has Indian Grinding Holes in them. On the old maps, it's just pass what they used to call "Roads End", but it keeps on going now and will take you into the Sequoia"s Big Trees. Sherman Pass is Open from May to October I believe. If you get to the Brush Creek Turnout (it's LARGE) and Camp or just Park your Vehicle, walk across the Road and just South of it is a Big Hole that Old Time Miner's dug. I found some small Gold there using My Falcon MD 20, WATCH OUT FOR RATTLER'S!!! I've killed quite a few of them up and down Brush Creek....Darrell

Curious~Alex

Sep 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I live in Bakersfield not far from hart park does anyone know of a group of people that meet up to go gold panning I go by my self but would like a person with me that know a lot about it I'm 20 and just post or pm meh if interested

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I live in Bakersfield not far from hart park does anyone know of a group of people that meet up to go gold panning I go by my self but would like a person with me that know a lot about it I'm 20 and just post or pm meh if interested
Alex ,there used to be a club in Bakersfield. Go to Mike's coin shop [ he sells prospecting equipment] and ask him. Maybe he knows how to get in touch with them. They go out to Hart's Park from time to time. Good luck

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Alex, I was born in Bakersfield. I live in Vegas now but recall an article in the newspaper years back when a couple of gold prospectors dug out the area in Hart Park where a stream flows into the Kern and recovered a considerable amount of gold. I remember it well because I was perplexed by the amount they retrieved and the location. As you are exiting the park heading back to Bakersfield you pass right over the little bridge. Might be worth a look as it was at least 20 some years ago. Another thing a lot of people don't see is when you are driving in first part of the canyon and look to the left up near the flume you can see part of the old rail track all the way to about the first weir in the canyon. My wife and I also rented a metal detector about 25 years ago from Mikes Coin Shop and went out to Hart Park and detected just south of the old pool in the bamboo area if it still exists but anyway she found an old silver dime. It didn't take long and I am willing to bet that area hasn't been hit because of the thick bamboo there. My son is 20yrs old and loves to prospect if you are ever near the Las Vegas area let us know. Good luck!

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hay Alex

I'm here in Bakersfield now and used to go to hart park with my kids all the time I might go Saturday let me know ill show you what I know not much but I always find gold. I think this is the first time this year for me its been a long year lol

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
got out for about two hours on Saturday didn't get a lot but it was fun. man the water is low I almost couldn't run my super mini bazooka and I can walk across the mighty kern river without getting my knees wet. highbanker dredge dream spot but I don't want to go to prison lol

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out cajon creek or some of the claims up in the canyon I have gpaa and have done good with a recirculation setup definitely worth a shot

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ill check into that thanks for the heads up

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out last saterday for a few hours didnt do to bad

Attachments

• 1456546956024.jpg
    1456546956024.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 204

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions