Gold panning kern river

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
theres a member here named Kernriverrich i havent seen him post here in awhile, but he would be able to answer your question! and im sure there are more guys here with experience on the Kern.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear from you Alex. Merry Christmas to you and be sure to send our best to your parents too.. :hello2: I see you are looking for spots to prospect again. Glad you are still at the game.

Kern river is a good place to try. It is remote (a long drive), big and cold. I'm not sure how it is running now but be very careful in the Kern. The cold deep currents will wash even an adult to his or her doom.

What equipment are you using now? If you are just panning or sluicing, a gram a day is a lot to hope for anywhere. Even with mom and dads' help. Remember it is the outing and adventure that counts though. Kinda' like fishing. I make a goal of a dollar worth. That way I can at least come close:BangHead:.

I'm near the San Fernando Valley. I'd be happy to share my dollar a day spot as well as other areas I know of. Maybe you could do better. :goldbar: As I recall you are in the desert. There are probably more dry-washing areas near you than creeks.Even in Big Bear Lots of people here in So Cal will help you to find a spot.

Have your parents PM if interested.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex, here's what a local guy posted about the Kern a while ago:i have found gold in the kern river in bakersfield,ca at a local park (hart park) and in the canyon off of hwy 178 and i've scouted keyesville near lake isabella were the first kern county strike was in 1851. i heard it was tricky there but i do plan of trying someday soon fingers crossed i have never been scunked yet.

Also I found this comment on another S Cal spot you may want to try: Cajon Creek off of Swarthmouth Road has produced nuggets recently.

Piru Creek
A suggested prospecting site in southern California. It's the Piru Creek area in the Los Padres National Forest. It is located just north of Los Angeles in the Gorman Region on Interstate 5 in Ventura county. this is a very scenic and accesable area for the Southern California Prospector It is a year round creek good for panning and sluicing. The gold is fine flake with an occasional nugget.

Alex, I wish I could help more but I'm in Colorado so...yeah.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have some cons from the kern that we are going to finish today. Wish us luck. Alex

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex, Piru may be closed due to the toads and condors. You don't want to hurt their feelings! There are some awesome spots on the Kern. Keyesville has been worked to death and then some. Orange C. 49ers has a claim or 2 on it [ China Gardens is 1] that are very good. Sampling is the key buddy. You'll do well. Merry Christmas and hope you have a good year

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alex BTW , you might consider getting Sam Radding's book on building your own prospecting equipment.You can build up quite an aresenol of gear for next to nothing. Build yourself a little drywasher and it opens up a whole lot of areas for you to work

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Hart park their a lot of fine gold up there . I got a 20$of gold of that spot

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
We'd love to hear your stories kiddo. Even the little things make our day!!!

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once me my mom brother and sister went to the kern. I was sluicing while my mom was digging/playing with my brother and sister. while she wasn't looking a bucket floated on the water and went down river. We thought it was gone but we got lucky and it got stuck on shore. My mom thought it was funny but I got upset. Kinda ridiculous that it got away from my mom but that's just what happened that day and I hope that it doesn't happen again.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool story, glad you were able to recover it. Even grownups do derpy things! A friend of mine was using his sucker bottle to get flakes that landed in his v matting on his sluice. He set the bottle down on a rock ...and never saw it again! Oops, guess it floated away when the creek level raised. lol!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best area on the lower Kern i have found is not on the river.

Go to hobo campground (miracle hot springs) and go above the canyon road you will see a small ranger station and overflow camp ground.

Hike back into that canyon there is good gold in that canyon.

There is even a stage station. I used to camp in the building when mining back in the late 1970s.

A little further back there are good rock sheets with some nice cracks that held good gold.

I can no longer hike back in that canyon so i might as well let others in on my secret spot..

You might want to go armed there are pot growers that have used that canyon.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story, glad you were able to recover it. Even grownups do derpy things! A friend of mine was using his sucker bottle to get flakes that landed in his v matting on his sluice. He set the bottle down on a rock ...and never saw it again! Oops, guess it floated away when the creek level raised. lol!
Kevin, is there a trick to snuffering gold from V mat? Seems anytime I have tried I disturbed the water and made the gold move. Being a chicken I have been afraid to do so since, I fear I'm kicking gold into the water flow. I know my riffles will catch it, but still... Any thoughts or suggestions?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, is there a trick to snuffering gold from V mat? Seems anytime I have tried I disturbed the water and made the gold move. Being a chicken I have been afraid to do so since, I fear I'm kicking gold into the water flow. I know my riffles will catch it, but still... Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sure, you have to sneak up on it from downstream...just like being downwind when deer hunting! Don't let it know you're coming until it feels the suction ;-) Get that tip down in the water, inch upstream in the sluice toward the flake and then release your suction.

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best area on the lower Kern i have found is not on the river. Go to hobo campground (miracle hot springs) and go above the canyon road you will see a small ranger station and overflow camp ground. Hike back into that canyon there is good gold in that canyon. There is even a stage station. I used to camp in the building when mining back in the late 1970s. A little further back there are good rock sheets with some nice cracks that held good gold. I can no longer hike back in that canyon so i might as well let others in on my secret spot.. You might want to go armed there are pot growers that have used that canyon.

Went and checked this out yesterday. Didn't do any panning, just hiked a bit.

Indian tree? at mouth of canyon:

image-824088086.jpg

Nice creek:

image-3584204977.jpg

Do you remember how far up the stage stop was? I found a likely shelf, had some modern looking concrete things:

image-360678455.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread