Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Crushing black sands

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6144 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    I was thinking of brazing something like carbide edges on it but since I sold all my welding gear when I moved to Georgia 8 years ago that's pretty much out until I can find someone local that could do it for me. I was thinking I could remove the blades off an old straight router bit and put them on the grinder blade. Heaven knows I've got enough router bits laying around the shop to work with.
    Aufisher likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

Jul 2013
    300 times
    I think carbide might be too brittle, it doesn't like shock. It chips and flakes off. Hardened steel maybe, how about a planer blade or two crossed? Drilling would be an issue.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4145 times
    well depending on how much BS you have to crush, what i made for crushing my BS is a homemade ball mill. i made it out of a 4 inch stainless steel tube and i cut out a S.S. disc to weld in one end of this tube. the other end i use a 4 inch sewer plug. on the end that i welded a plate over, i centered the peice and drilled a 1/4 in. hole to attach a Love Joy coupleing and the mateing coupleing is attached to a variable speed gear reduction motor.this tube is mounted on a angle to keep the BS towards the back of the tube to keep my BS from spilling out.i got a bunch of old machine bearings and busted them apart for the SS balls..... it worked great for a long time untill the magnetic dusts got to my motor and cooked it. also you can cleanout a cement mixer if you have a lot of BS to crush.and you can put any iron objects in it to keep the cost down.i lkied the SS balls because they are harder thand the BS im crushing.

Oct 2013
    15 times
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Any advice on separating platinum from gold? Or just refining platinum in general?

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6144 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    I'm looking into that as well Dr.Meh. I've been finding a "mystery material" in the wash on my claim. I KNOW it's not lead or mercury covered gold but still have to do more tests to determine exactly what the heck it is. It's VERY heavy, metallic silvery gray in color and when you tap the pan to walk the gold up to the edge, this stuff goes right on up with the gold. It laughs at a propane torch and I don't have any map gas on hand at the moment to see if it melts with the higher heat. If it does turn out to be in the platinum group I'll have to figure out how to refine it. I do know that there was about 6,000 oz of silver recovered in that area between 1875 and 1900, but this is in a placer and silver found like that is usually black from oxidation. I'm not ruling it out but it just seems unlikely given the color of the stuff. Of course it would be my luck that I go prospecting for gold and end up finding platinum..........
    Aufisher likes this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/
    The one stop place for mining matters on public lands!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of my knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Oct 2017
    Redondo Beach (LA)
    Whites GoldMaster GMT
    2 times
    Prospecting
    Kevin, seeking black sand crusher that is most affordable. Was surprised to read a coffee grinder would be acceptable for this. But you then say "not the one at the grocery store". Pardon my ignorance, but which coffee grinder are you referring to specifically? And being one that would still be a less expensive option for this by downgrading to just a coffee grinder.. Or hmm, ....hard to explain. So where its not some high tech coffee grinder whose cost would make you question why youre botherring with a coffee grinder since its not the one you'd buy at the grocery store which would be the cheaper route. If that made any freakin sense

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    781 times
    Stayin' alive :D
    Didn't I put out the solution long ago? Sand blast the stuff against a steel wall. (into a tube with the end over a water bucket...)
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    Improving the world, one post at a time

Raphael

Dec 2013
    Westfield,Ma
    Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats Grizzly Explorer Sluice
    230 times
    Prospecting
    The real question here is : Why would you spend hundreds of Dollars to recover 2 or 3 cents worth of gold?
    If the gold is so small that you can't even see it with a magnifying glass then you probably need a million pieces to make it worth 1 Dollar. You are better off spending the time in the river scooping for bigger gold.
    That's just my 2 cents.

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    781 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternMassGold View Post
    The real question here is : Why would you spend hundreds of Dollars to recover 2 or 3 cents worth of gold?
    If the gold is so small that you can't even see it with a magnifying glass then you probably need a million pieces to make it worth 1 Dollar. You are better off spending the time in the river scooping for bigger gold.
    That's just my 2 cents.
    I guess if you accumulate a 55 gallon drum of the stuff and it is 25 OZ /ton ...

Keep in mind the largest gold deposit in this country is found as a contaminant in pyrite (in limestone) and is 'solution' gold - yup molecular sized. Go figger ...

Chemistry is your friend.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    9724 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFool View Post
    Kevin, seeking black sand crusher that is most affordable. Was surprised to read a coffee grinder would be acceptable for this. But you then say "not the one at the grocery store". Pardon my ignorance, but which coffee grinder are you referring to specifically? And being one that would still be a less expensive option for this by downgrading to just a coffee grinder.. Or hmm, ....hard to explain. So where its not some high tech coffee grinder whose cost would make you question why youre botherring with a coffee grinder since its not the one you'd buy at the grocery store which would be the cheaper route. If that made any freakin sense
    I was kidding around. I meant don’t feed your thru the coffee grinder owned by the grocery store!

Instead use one like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521078016.514766.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	1564376
    N-Lionberger likes this.
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1290 times
    Prospecting
    I do a bit of blacksmithing as a hobby. If i was going to fashion my own blade, it would be either out of 5160 (think leaf spring) or maybe even HSS (High Speed Steel) its what drill bits are made of.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

Apr 2014
    Tartarus Dorsa mountains
    781 times
    I ground some case hardened files down to blades with equal length handles. Cuts a .30-06 in half vertically. Case and copper jacketed bullet. (sans primer and powder) Over 15 years ago, haven't sharpened them since. Weakness is brittleness. I broke one while hammering the back side on a cut.

us
    Feb 2016
    NW Montana
    30" Prospector BGT, Garret pans (10", 14", SuperSluice), Home-built Gold Hog-ish Highbanker a la Raptor
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Pardon my ignorance, but let me get this straight: Am I correctly understanding that there is actually gold INSIDE grains of black sand? This is in addition to the fine flour-gold mixed in with the black sand that you have to separate out by panning?
    Aufisher and mytimetoshine like this.

May 2013
    The Golden State
    Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
    4805 times
    Prospecting
    Yes and sometimes larger pieces
    mytimetoshine likes this.
    I am a teacher, hydrologist, biologist and a prospector.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    9724 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by johngfoster View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but let me get this straight: Am I correctly understanding that there is actually gold INSIDE grains of black sand? This is in addition to the fine flour-gold mixed in with the black sand that you have to separate out by panning?
    Yup. Several years ago I built a benchtop rod mill. Ran some black sands in it and found gold. If you search here in tnet, you’ll find the thread. Info on how to build, gold results, etc.
    mytimetoshine likes this.
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links