Best bagged paydirt to buy?

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there has been lots of discussions on this subject, I've read through most of them. What it comes down to is, I live at least 300-400 miles from anywhere that has enough gold to make panning for gold rewarding. I don't have much free time as it is, and i'm not looking to get rich. I just want to pan and find enough gold to have it be entertaining.

Not looking to hear a debate on why people should or should not buy bagged dirt. This is just for me (or anyone else) who has already made the decision to buy some and are looking for recommendations. Or maybe if you have bought some share your experience with the seller/dirt.

I have panned a little before, but just bought my first pan that came with a 1/4lb of concentrate dirt:from ebay seller. Kit cost me 19.50, he sells a 1/2 lb bag for $10 just for reference. Not an expert at panning, nor have i weighed what i have, but below is a pic of my 2nd of what will be 3 pans I will get out of the 1/4 lb sample.

1604458_10203057762023657_1931200208_n.jpg

So if you could help me make my next purchase, and if anyone has any tips on getting flour gold out of this blond sand without a miller table... thanks

Also I see a member here sells some, I may contact you, or send me a pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Keep the reviews coming. My son and I want to do some panning for fun. We are near philadelphia and have to bring the dirt to us. I don't want to purchase gold and mix it in. I would like it to be a surprise so I would like to go with "unsearched" not the "seeded" stuff but also don't want to be scammed. Honest "dirt that they would pan" stuff
I've looked at several sites mentioned and will wait for a few more reviews before jumping in.

Thanks all and please provide your honest thoughts on which to get.

Really wish we were out west
Jon

Im also in Philadelphia, please let me know how you make out. I plan on getting some waterfall soil from several rivers and creeks to try panning, ya never know :)
The bagged stuff seemed so expensive, id rather spend it on gas and drive to streams that 'may' or 'may not' have gold/silver/gems

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why keep the black dust thats mixed with the gold?
Wouldnt it be better to remove it for a more accurate weight?

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Kevin and okbasspro! My son told me that I have to get the knees taken care of before my wife gets too old to take care of me and he is still around. I guess part of it is having to admit that I need it done.

Anyhow I will post a picture of the 3 or 4 flakes I found in 4 trips to NH a few years ago, that was when I could still get in the streams. I actually bought 2 bags of the Felix paydirt 2 years ago and did ok on one but so so on the other, pictures to follow.

Here is what we are facing south of Boston right now, 4 feet of snow and more on the way!

PART_1423486929972_IMG_20150209_073344546_HDR_zps329d9564.jpg

PART_1423486933530_IMG_20150209_073353669_HDR_zps85042969.jpg

PART_1423486926302_IMG_20150209_073336146_HDR_zps2778837d.jpg

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the better stuff I got in one bag from Felix, the other bag wasn't as good. The downside it was like $300 for the bonanza bag! The gold in the vial were the 3 flakes I found in 4 trips to NH 3 years ago. Those three flakes cost me about $500 but I FOUND GOLD! the picture of them in the cereal bowl shows them better.

IMG_2758resize_zps69449258.jpg

my gold I found, all that I have found in my lifetime! The 3 flakes are on the left side of the vial

NHgoldresize_zps37bdeaec.jpg

NHflakesresize_zps3d4f36ad.jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unsearched Pay dirt from my honey hole drying out for shipment to you Ben. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423533217.544248.jpg (film canister for scale)

Just dug it today. Also see that black smudge of dirt in the closer pan? That's concentrate from a quick bit of sunset sluicing to ensure there's enough gold in there to get a smile :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The black sand is really difficult to separate from the gold. Especially the fine gold specks. You need special equipment to separate the two.

Ben those are some nice little nuggets. Idk if it's $500 worth, but nice.

That's pretty nice of you Kevin.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The black sand is really difficult to separate from the gold. Especially the fine gold specks. You need special equipment to separate the two.

Ben those are some nice little nuggets. Idk if it's $500 worth, but nice.

That's pretty nice of you Kevin.

Thanks. The only special equipment you need to remove the black sand is a 30 or 50 mesh classifier screen and a $2 black gold pan. Well then an eye dropper to suck up the gold and a little green bowl for final separation. Total cost $5 plus the classifier....Oh and lots of practice!

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have different black sand or gold than I get. Some of this stuff has gold that is exactly the same size as the black sand grains. Flakes I can separate out no problem, but the little gold dust particles aren't so easy.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You must have different black sand or gold than I get. Some of this stuff has gold that is exactly the same size as the black sand grains. Flakes I can separate out no problem, but the little gold dust particles aren't so easy.

Oh I agree that it's challenging :)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The only special equipment you need to remove the black sand is a 30 or 50 mesh classifier screen and a $2 black gold pan. Well then an eye dropper to suck up the gold and a little green bowl for final separation. Total cost $5 plus the classifier....Oh and lots of practice!

Or.....just run the black sand like we do here (beach) until you can see it! Of course I might be losing some too....

beachsluiceready-1-IMG_5859.jpg

OP
OP
E

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do, I try and pan out whatever I can and as soon as it looks like I might lose some I stop. Probably not worth the effort but I'm kind of stingy that way.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can usually pan around 100 mesh with no issues. Check out my journal thread. That's all panning baby!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can usually pan around 100 mesh with no issues. Check out my journal thread. That's all panning baby!

Exactly and same here... Well below 100 mesh, far smaller than the sand its with :)

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin,
I don't know what to say! You have really made my year. If there is ever anything I can do for you let me know. When you are in Marlboro maybe we can get together for lunch my treat, I know a good BBQ place there, of course 5 Guys burgers are always good.

as far as separating the gold from the black sand, my wife bought be a blue bowl 2 years ago that I have never used as I haven't been able to get stream to get dirt. Now I will be able to try it out.

This is a video I made with my sit-down slucing setup at home that I created 3 years ago but posted a couple years ago. Since I find it hard to stand for a long time I set this up so when my sons bring me some dirt I can run it in my backyard.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That Keene Miracle Mat looks like a winner...nice setup. What is that funny green stuff on the ground in the video? I thought the ground in your area was always white lol!

PS I use Folgers canisters for my concentrates too. Lightweight and stay sealed in my backpack :)

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the highbanker setup when I tried to do a sluice into a bucket like that you have to do it outside because it drips this looks pretty good compact

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Why buy concentrates when it would be cheaper just to buy the gold in sizes that you want and then make your own cons to pan out! cheaper this way if buying is the way you want to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread