NE Kansas glacial gold prospecting

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering if anyone on this forum has had any success finding any glacial gold in NE Kansas, I have done some panning and sluicing up north of Kansas City and the Smithville Lake area. I've done OK finding real fine gold and tiny picker occasionally. I live on the Kansas side. I know the glaciers made it as far south as Topeka. Thanks for any input. SC1

Upvote 0

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a thread on here years ago. I think he was in NW Missouri. I can't seem to find it but here are a couple of links. I didn't realize that the glaciers came as far south as Topeka.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/327063-glacial-gold-travel-mapping.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/212907-little-missouri-glacial-gold.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/340326-glacial-gold-away-creeks.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/228098-just-one-more-pan-missouri.html

Recently a guy made a comment (I think in the prospecting section) about finding gold in KS. I PM'ed him about the story. He's from KC and is finding a little. His name is Gold Hound. Maybe send him a PM and see what's up.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Rob, Thanks for the reply. I had read the posts you mentioned. One T-Net member DpdKld has a lot of great posts. He is from the area. SC1

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Turkey creek kck north of k32 between swart ave. a lot of mica though but color none the less

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am thinking of checking some gravel pits north of the Missouri river and Kansas City. If I can get permission of course.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found tiny gold specks in creek in Manhatten KS. and in several sand and gravel plants in Missouri and Illinois.

A creek in Manhattan?? Where was that?? The Big Blue (river) runs into Tuttle creek Res just above Manhatten. Or was it Wildcat creek? Wildcat creek isn't that long. If you found gold there, I might have to check out the little creek near my farm.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ha its been a long time ago. our daughter lived there in manhatten for some time. while we were visiting them I told the (2) grandkids out playing in a creek. I thought it was in Manhatten but we rode around a lot that day looking and I could be wrong! I was once!:) id have to look at my maps to see if I marked a X on that location.

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Russau, How'd you do at the gravel pits? Were you able to get anywhere near bedrock? I've located a couple north of the Missouri river. Still got to work on getting permission. SC1

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
The gravel pits I had access to , they used a clam shell bucket line to pull material from (at that time) 150 foot in the old Mississippi River channel and were comeing up with all sorts of things includeing fine gold. the hopper for their 36 inch inclined material screw had a LOT of blacksand and fine gold in it towards the end of their season.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Stonecutter1...........I stand corrected. it was above Wamago Kansas up around the Vermillion River. they did live in Manhatten and Wamago . now they live between Overland Park and Olatha. and I was out there with the grandchildren about 22 years ago. no wonder im getting a little forgetfull!

OP
OP
S

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russau, I'm not sure where Wamego is. Up in the NE part of the state I guess. I have some friends that live in Highland,KS. There are some gravel pits not far from there in Wathena. I'm hoping I can find some good bedrock to prospect. Anyhow, Thanks for the info. SC1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread