Whats that under the black sand?

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• image-3120631068.jpg
    image-3120631068.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 277
  • image-1120194493.jpg
    image-1120194493.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really hard to tell from the photo. I suggest taking it to a local prospecting shop or club meeting to find someone with local experience. That said, if there was gold in there, you'd see it.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be:

Mercury?

Zircon?

Telluride?

Garnet?

???

Do you have a loupe? Can you look at it close up? Much more information needed before we can help you.

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The grey heavy will be the local bedrock or mineral in that region in Georgia. If its hidding your gold, I would try drying the grey sand then mortar grinding it. Re pan it in water with a drop of jet dri, and check for flour gold.

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just starting out so I didn't know a whole lot. I was wondering if it could be mercury. Doesn't gold bond with that and you have to split the gold from mercury? Assuming that's what it is

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm just starting out so I didn't know a whole lot. I was wondering if it could be mercury. Doesn't gold bond with that and you have to split the gold from mercury? Assuming that's what it is
yes mercury will coat gold like paint but the coated flakes will clump together. More likely you have a mineral like Clay says. Up in Gilpin County Colorado I've run into tin oxide based minerals that are heavier than black sand just like what you have there...but that material was a yellowish/tan color.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grey heavy will be the local bedrock or mineral in that region in Georgia. If its hiding your gold, I would try drying the grey sand then mortar grinding it. Re pan it in water with a drop of jet dri, and check for flour gold.

I wonder if it could be platinum...? ???

I'm just sayin'...

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like gold, which gleems in your pan. Platnium will gleem in the pan too. Its going to be with the gold. You can pan out all the heavies and be left with gold. Just repeat your panning technique in a rubbermaid trough full of clean water with a little jet dri and use a small metal pan submerged and pan over it. The heavies will fall into the metal pan. And if they drift, you dont want them. This way you can practice and not worry about losing gold. :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I get the same or similar stuff in every pan when prospedcting in North Carolina and Tennessee! I have often wondered if the material might be another heavy metal but don't have a way to test it or know where to get it tested.

Frank

OP
OP
Duckwalk

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also get it in every single pan no matter the amount of dirt and black sand. I have yet to try the bake and shake treatment tithe black sands. Maybe it will tell us something.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get the same or similar stuff in every pan when prospedcting in North Carolina and Tennessee! I have often wondered if the material might be another heavy metal but don't have a way to test it or know where to get it tested. Frank

I save all the really heavy stuff, at least for a while to see what accumulates...too many stories of people finding out later that they'd been tossing out valuable minerals.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Yes, like the story of all that nasty stuff that was messing up the gold recovery on the Comstock!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly Doug! Similar stories from the Leadville boom days...nasty stuff made panning hard, turned out to be Lead and Silver oxides/sulphides.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread