Looking to go panning in North Carolina this weekend - suggestions?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My lady friend and I talked about this coming weekend's adventures and decided we'd like to go panning in North Carolina. I'd read some threads on locations around Charlotte, but they mostly said the pickings are pretty slim in that area.

So, we are looking for suggestions from experienced members here! We certainly do not expect wealth, but a fun adventure with possibilities would be wonderful.

Any input will be gratefully appreciated.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thermal City gold mine. Our club (GPAA Matthews) will be there this weekend. Would be happy to meet you.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thermal City gold mine. Our club (GPAA Matthews) will be there this weekend. Would be happy to meet you.

I saw that, joined GPAA yesterday.

My concern would be that it would be pretty crowded, and I'm not the very social type normally. May see you there anyway!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I also agree with the others about Thermal City! If you don't want to get real dirty and/or wet, you can work down (classify and pan) the community/common panning area piles for only $10 a day and if lucky, you can get a decent amount of flakes and even a picker every now and then. If you want to try for more and better Gold, then you might want to pay the extra and pan or sluice in the Second Broad River which is really a stream by my definition or you can run a highbanker or dredge. You can also pay (I believe) the $100 (**) for a freshly dug and untampered with (not pre-classified) front-end loader bucket full of material dug right out of the ground and which some folks find a lot of flakes and even some bigger Gold nuggets from. They also have camping sites available for rent, so you can stay for several days or as long as you want.

Frank

Corrected:

(**) I looked at Thermal City Gold Mine's website and I am probably wrong about the $100 for the loads of material. It appears that it is $60 a load for Trommel and Highbanker runs (i.e. material brought to run through these) and $50 for loads brought to the Gravel Bar (I am not sure what this means but probably it is probably loads brought to the panning area where you are panning). Note: These are not the same as the loads brought to the Community/Common panning areas. They are your' loads only since you paid for them. No one else can work the piles unless you allow them to do so or you leave and abandon the remaining material in the pile.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread