have you guys seen the new gold hog HOG PAN?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so goodyguy my idea with 5 gallon bucket slits in the bottom would work you think?

Your classifier would need to sit deep into the bucket to keep it from being so top heavy and you would have to be in deeper water to operate it, and it would be more awkward than using the Hog pan, but yes in my opinion it would give you pretty much the same results.

I make my classifiers out of 5 gallon buckets cut to 8" deep (you may want to make yours deeper) they will sit down into another 5 gallon bucket and will classify more material at a time than a store bought shallow depth classifier.

But like Vaquero said, just use a regular classifier and classify directly into your gold pan and not have to deal with all the weight.
No need for slits on the sides of your pan just slough off the lighter material over the edge of the pan as usual.

These are not mine but should give you the idea of what I mean...............
classifyers12.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a day or so I will have one (did not buy it) to test.....I will post testing and back pain experience on a new thread. I will give the most honest review I can. I would not buy one for production. The river has enough flow for the bazooka. If I lived in an area with gold and small slow creeks I could see it being useful. I will try to do a time comparison between traditional bucket classification (hate it) and the Hogpan. Doc has zero to do with this I will be honest with my experience.

If you test it in a tub don't forget to go through the tailings to see if any fine gold washed out through the trap ports. I'm curious as to whether that would happen or not.

GG~

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does Docs main intention have to be ripping people off??????? I have the hog pan sitting in my garage right now. Even its owner is worried I might have something "negative " to say about it. Well, he doesn't have to worry you guys got that covered. I believe that Docs main goal is to provide something for people who may only have the option of panning...especially in restricted areas.Hands and pans only areas only allow pans....no trowels....no crevice tools even and no..CLASSIFIERS. The hogpan is registered as a gold pan, it even comes with a certificate as proof to any one questioning its use. It is actually not heavy considering its construction..and it looks bigger in the videos than in person. Watching Docs video I did notice that doc is gonna ruin his back not cause of the pan but, because of the way he bends over. You would do the same damage bent over a bucket. Makes it look more awkward than it is. Several things to consider...First those garage built classifiers would not last a day of real prospecting and you only need one not four. I just carry a green keene 1/2 inch in my pack the only time I use it is sampling and sniping. Not for sluicing. Keep in mind when you use a hogpan you are classifying and concentrating if you are filling a bucket you are still gonna have to pan. Just my input. I have never been in contact with Doc I just have the chance to try out his product.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just wondering did you do a bucket full of material? How much cons did you wind up with in the fluid trap?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My homemade bucket classifiers still work great after 7 years but I cant say that about all of my store bought ones! The classifiers that I posted above are not mine as I stated above the photo. And yes you would only need one for the application that vaquero44 was suggesting. Of course you have to pan out the concentrates same as with the Hog pan.

I'm not out to discredit anyone personally or their inventions. The intention of my above posts were for information only based upon my honest observations/opinions/experience and not meant to be derisive or vitriolic. Sorry if anyone got offended.

My sincerest apologies,
GG~

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but, you have to pan that whole bucket after the classifying step...where as if you started with a hogpan you would be completing two steps at once...seems quicker to me. Like I said I'm not restricted so I'm gonna use it how I see fit...Hands and pans doesn't say you can't have two pans I would use a pan to scoop into the hog pan I guess...take that stupid law:laughing7: It would be very hard to convince myself to put out the 275.00 on a "pan"...It would have to be one of my only options and only if I knew it out produced a bucket and classifier. I don't know that yet. You guys are right those homemade classifiers are gonna last a bit longer than a day :tongue3: but, I think I would break one before seven years was up....and yes g.g. the commercial do get wore out and cracked. Everything you say is spot on...yet I don't thing it disqualifies the functionality and usefulness of the hogpan.....and naming it a gimmick just isn't fair. Too many times on the forums guys bash new tools and gear with out actually trying it. Based mainly on the fact that its all been done. I feel that goes against everything the mining industry needs which is constant rethinking and innovation as deposits and access vary greatly and require many different tools for prospecting and production. No new invention actually helps you find more gold as its the brains behind the operation that does that. Yet, gear is gonna come along that can inspire and increase success.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but, you have to pan that whole bucket after the classifying step...where as if you started with a hogpan you would be completing two steps at once...seems quicker to me. Like I said I'm not restricted so I'm gonna use it how I see fit...Hands and pans doesn't say you can't have two pans I would use a pan to scoop into the hog pan I guess...take that stupid law:laughing7: It would be very hard to convince myself to put out the 275.00 on a "pan"...It would have to be one of my only options and only if I knew it out produced a bucket and classifier. I don't know that yet. You guys are right those homemade classifiers are gonna last a bit longer than a day :tongue3: but, I think I would break one before seven years was up....and yes g.g. the commercial do get wore out and cracked. Everything you say is spot on...yet I don't thing it disqualifies the functionality and usefulness of the hogpan.....and naming it a gimmick just isn't fair. Too many times on the forums guys bash new tools and gear with out actually trying it. Based mainly on the fact that its all been done. I feel that goes against everything the mining industry needs which is constant rethinking and innovation as deposits and access vary greatly and require many different tools for prospecting and production. No new invention actually helps you find more gold as its the brains behind the operation that does that. Yet, gear is gonna come along that can inspire and increase success.

Looking forward to reading your unbiased test results, comments, observations. :icon_thumleft:

Let it also be known that I wish Doc and the Gold Hog Team all the success in the world with the innovative products that they have introduced into the marketplace, including the Hogpan as well as any other new products they may introduce in the future.
To Doc and the Gold Hog Team: "live long and prosper" :occasion14:

GG~

Last edited:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, been busy and hadn’t seen the thread. Guess I should put my two cents in….

I actually invented the HOGPAN for myself, not the public, last year.
However, once it was seen by two other people they asked if I could build one for them.
One was a large commercial op owner; the other was a prospector in a pan only remote area.
After they fell in love with it, and gave us feedback, we decided to add it to our product line.

Obviously one of the factors that kept me from adding it at first was the cost.
Per pan it’s about 6 hours of labor and over 30 tig welds, then finishing,
very heavy metal / aluminum, etc, but it is what it is.
I simply wanted ONE piece of equipment that could reduce down roughly 5 gallons
of bank material to about quart of cons in less than a minute.
Then dump that into a finishing pan and test the results.
When I’m done with it, I throw it on the bank or in the back of my truck.

We also use it HEAVILY for tailings tests.
It allows us to scoop about 25 pounds of tailings, work down in about 15 seconds, and test.
All while standing at the end of a sluice.

No, it’s not for everyone, but those that need one / wanted one, and now have them REALLY like them.
If you feel you can do the same job with a pan, classifier, or other equipment, it’s a free country, don’t buy one.

“Miners mining miners?” I guess the guy selling millions of $8 gold pans is Karl Marx?

If you don’t think you want one, fine, don’t buy one. But I do take offense to such a statement.
Our level of integrity and ethics is beyond reproach.
Doc

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ what he said:thumbsup:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, been busy and hadn’t seen the thread. Guess I should put my two cents in….

I actually invented the HOGPAN for myself, not the public, last year.
However, once it was seen by two other people they asked if I could build one for them.
One was a large commercial op owner; the other was a prospector in a pan only remote area.
After they fell in love with it, and gave us feedback, we decided to add it to our product line.

Obviously one of the factors that kept me from adding it at first was the cost.
Per pan it’s about 6 hours of labor and over 30 tig welds, then finishing,
very heavy metal / aluminum, etc, but it is what it is.
I simply wanted ONE piece of equipment that could reduce down roughly 5 gallons
of bank material to about quart of cons in less than a minute.
Then dump that into a finishing pan and test the results.
When I’m done with it, I throw it on the bank or in the back of my truck.

We also use it HEAVILY for tailings tests.
It allows us to scoop about 25 pounds of tailings, work down in about 15 seconds, and test.
All while standing at the end of a sluice.

No, it’s not for everyone, but those that need one / wanted one, and now have them REALLY like them.
If you feel you can do the same job with a pan, classifier, or other equipment, it’s a free country, don’t buy one.

“Miners mining miners?” I guess the guy selling millions of $8 gold pans is Karl Marx?

If you don’t think you want one, fine, don’t buy one. But I do take offense to such a statement.
Our level of integrity and ethics is beyond reproach.
Doc
I live a few miles from the Smith river, hands and pans only. The Hog Pan would be the perfect weapon!
th.jpg th.jpg th.jpg th.jpg th.jpg th.jpg

Large Gold Pan - The Hog Pan
:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, been busy and hadn’t seen the thread. Guess I should put my two cents in…. I actually invented the HOGPAN for myself, not the public, last year. However, once it was seen by two other people they asked if I could build one for them. One was a large commercial op owner; the other was a prospector in a pan only remote area. After they fell in love with it, and gave us feedback, we decided to add it to our product line. Obviously one of the factors that kept me from adding it at first was the cost. Per pan it’s about 6 hours of labor and over 30 tig welds, then finishing, very heavy metal / aluminum, etc, but it is what it is. I simply wanted ONE piece of equipment that could reduce down roughly 5 gallons of bank material to about quart of cons in less than a minute. Then dump that into a finishing pan and test the results. When I’m done with it, I throw it on the bank or in the back of my truck. We also use it HEAVILY for tailings tests. It allows us to scoop about 25 pounds of tailings, work down in about 15 seconds, and test. All while standing at the end of a sluice. No, it’s not for everyone, but those that need one / wanted one, and now have them REALLY like them. If you feel you can do the same job with a pan, classifier, or other equipment, it’s a free country, don’t buy one. “Miners mining miners?” I guess the guy selling millions of $8 gold pans is Karl Marx? If you don’t think you want one, fine, don’t buy one. But I do take offense to such a statement. Our level of integrity and ethics is beyond reproach. Doc

Whoh...thats a weight lifted.

I wish you All the best. Friendship is hard to come by these days
:)

Side note, the goldhog mats look Nice! Any way to get one to test? Haha. Just kidding

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
I might be interested in the hogpan.
Have this area been wanting to work. The area only has water during the winter and just small standing pools that probably hold a couple hundred gallons. Was thinking of using an small recirculating system, but the hogpan might process material faster? and is definitely more portable.

Goldwasher: I Will be interested in your test results.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey doc!
Will you be offering a Hog Pan in camo?
Powder coated maybe!

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I picked one up as a pre-order to play around with. Part of me said that it'll be the same as a screen over a pan. Part of me wanted to see if it was quicker or somehow better. In the end, I love new toys to play with and this looked like a fun one to try out.

I've only been able to use it on one weekend outing but here is my take on it. I used it on the EF San Gabriel for the purpose of quickly sampling spots up a section of river that I wanted to hit up that day.

It is sturdy, not all that heavy (or not as heavy as I thought it would be).
It is well constructed.
Rust did start to appear on the grizzly bars after 1 day or use but that was expected.
Operation is easy and straight forward. The only thing to remember is to dump the rocks out on a specific side.
Clean-out was easy. Only issue was the inside top area when dumping the cons. But that was an issue of me not tossing water high enough to clean it.
The ports on the side under the grizzly are smaller than the opening between the grizzly. The downside to that is that smaller rocks will build up and jam themselves up.
I'm not sure how fluid the underside gets especially when there is a significant amount of sand. (This is more of a thought than an observation.)
I fed about 2 gallons (3 mounding shovels) of material. It seemed to handle that amount pretty easily. More than that and the side ports would start to clog up.
I tried to run 2 gallons, empty out rocks, and reload with more material hoping that I could run a few buckets without a clean-out. I figure that since the bottom was like a fluid bed only the heaviest should be left behind and I could run a few times without a clean-out. The side ports clogged up after the first reload of material.
The size is easy to hold and the rubber on the handles made for an easy grip.
It did grab the AU. I couple of test pans got -100 flour. When we finally hit a +50 we dug there and had a good time.
I used both with and without the UR mat installed and I didn't see much of a difference in performance. For some reason I ran more pans with the UR though.

Overall, it worked as it should have.

Is it faster that a classifier and a pan?
Yea, a bit but for a first time use a bit is not a bad result. If I got use to using it then I'm sure it would greatly surpass.

Will I use it again?
Yep. For sure.

Would I buy it again?
Yep. Overall I like it. I might open the side slots up a bit and see how that works.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a day or so I will have one (did not buy it) to test.....I will post testing and back pain experience on a new thread. I will give the most honest review I can. I would not buy one for production. The river has enough flow for the bazooka. If I lived in an area with gold and small slow creeks I could see it being useful. I will try to do a time comparison between traditional bucket classification (hate it) and the Hogpan. Doc has zero to do with this I will be honest with my experience.

How did your test go?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head Chef at country club fellas + summer = 60 hour work week...Normally 35 to 40 hours November to March that's my dig season. I should have kept my mouth shut as the damned thing is sitting in the same spot since I brought it home. I'm busy at home too trying to keep up with the garden and honey do's when I'm actually home which is close to dark. AAAAnnnndddd on my actual days of I'm wrangling an 11 month old little girl while my wife is at work. SOOOOO BACK OFF:tongue3: I'm taking Saturday off to go to Hangtowns' daughters birthday she's a week older than my daughter. I might get a chance tomorrow(SHUT UP DUMMY) Sorry if I ever came across like I worked in the marketing department. I don't want to let you guys or Doc down. Sometimes you bite of more than you can chew....luckily I can store a lot in my cheeks:laughing7:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's hard juggling family work, prospecting. and kids. Take you time and tell us how it goes when you test it out

Last edited:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Head Chef at country club fellas + summer = 60 hour work week...Normally 35 to 40 hours November to March that's my dig season. I should have kept my mouth shut as the damned thing is sitting in the same spot since I brought it home. I'm busy at home too trying to keep up with the garden and honey do's when I'm actually home which is close to dark. AAAAnnnndddd on my actual days of I'm wrangling an 11 month old little girl while my wife is at work. SOOOOO BACK OFF:tongue3: I'm taking Saturday off to go to Hangtowns' daughters birthday she's a week older than my daughter. I might get a chance tomorrow(SHUT UP DUMMY) Sorry if I ever came across like I worked in the marketing department. I don't want to let you guys or Doc down. Sometimes you bite of more than you can chew....luckily I can store a lot in my cheeks:laughing7:
Both of you guys are awesome. Live a good life, and all will Fall into place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread