panning in Vermont

sabl3

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I am new to this group and I plan to do some panning in The Bolton or Waterbury, VT area. This will be my first time panning and I'm looking for some good areas to start so I thought I'd see what you guys could offer.
I read that you can find color in Joiner brook in Bolton, has anybody had any luck there? Also, I checked this website MRDS: interactive map by commodity and noticed a placer mine in Waterbury. Are the small brooks and creeks near it, worth checking out? Lastly, are black sand and garnet indicative of gold in a river? I'm reading conflicting info.

Any advice would be fantastic.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sabl3,
Check my thread MA/VT/NH Panning. I do most of my panning in VT, and have documented my finds. From what I have read Waterbury is a good place to find color, especially around Gold Brook. As for Garnet and black sands being an indicator for gold. The answer is yes, no, and maybe. I personally don't have much luck finding gold where there is a lot of red garnet. I have found colors where there is yellow or orange garnet though. As for black sands, you always have varying amounts of black sands where you find gold. You don't always find gold where there are black sands. The most gold I find is where there is a good amount of black sands but not where there is a huge concentration of it. The last time I was in Vermont I found a stream with over-whelming black sands but relatively little gold. The criterion that I use is I like to see black sands start to collect in a fine line at the back of my pan after 2/3 of the gravel has washed out. Make sure you classify before you pan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sabl3

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I'll be sure to look at that. Do you primarily go to state owned land or do approach property owners for permission?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sabl3

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool! I never thought of doing that. How do you know the difference between private land and county land though?

OP
OP
S

sabl3

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, do you need a permit to pan on county land?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well being here in Maine my experience with blacksand and garnet is if your finding it in your pan and if gold were present it show in your pan as well......most of the streams I do around here are filled full of garnet I found one little creek my sluice run totally red with very little traces of blacksand and the gravel bed I was digging I got down to a grassy layer which I was finding garnet hugged to the roots like it was Velcro something but 2 miles above there there was quarry mine too and every now and then i'll find green tourmaline........ only have found -200 gold specs though and this is in the western part of the state right around the bethel area.

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, do you need a permit to pan on county land?[/QUO

No permit is needed for hand panning in Vermont. Your best bet is not to attract attention to yourself. Law enforcement usually wont mess with you unless somebody local complains about you. I see more deer than officials. If there aren't any houses or electrical lines its probably county lands. Just disappear somewhere where there aren't any no trespassing signs. If you do see a house ask permission. Most locals are friendly, but some are not. I always respect private property.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread