Centrifuge? usefull or not?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a chance to get an old centrifuge, the kind you put test tubes into and it spins them around. Would this work in some fashion to classify concentrate to get the gold from the black sand? Anyone ever try this as a method?
Large commercial operations use them frequently so yes, give it a try.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a chance to get an old centrifuge, the kind you put test tubes into and it spins them around. Would this work in some fashion to classify concentrate to get the gold from the black sand? Anyone ever try this as a method?

A test tube centrifuge probably won't work. It spins test tubes it doesnt work like a gold centrifuge.

OP
OP
L

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Chisbrns said "A test tube centrifuge probably won't work. It spins test tubes it doesnt work like a gold centrifuge." Since I have no idea what a gold centrifuge does or looks like I can't comment on how it might be different from a test tube centrifuge, but the principle of the test tube centrifuge is to separate the lighter material from the heavier material. The heavy material goes to the bottom of the tube by reason of the high rotational gravity and lesser weighted items stay higher in the test-tube. Actually I am not looking for 'probably' or not, but if anyone has actually done it. The Centrifuge is a big aluminum affair almost 24" in diameter for the bowl with a locking lid, with I think twelve pivoting sockets for tubes a little larger than an inch in diameter. I can get it roughly at the scrap price of the aluminum so it is not a large outlay, but I would likely have to rewire it, etc. Didn't know if it would work with dry concentrate, or if water would need to be used or even if mineral oil would work better. Just thought I would ask those who actually have tried different ways of concentrating their gold. Kevinincolorado said that some commercial firms do this, was wondering what exactly the process might entail. Anyway, this is not a poll, just a search for anyone with experience.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant hurt to take some cons and test it before you buy it?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Come on guys. I think its a no brainer. For the price of scrap what is there to lose? :dontknow: Figure out a use for it as you go along.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the centrifuge he is referring to is used for blood tests and medical analysis.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
IMHO,sounds like you may be better off passing on this!

I agree. I have made a couple of centrifuges for gold processing in my younger years. There are essentially two types. Low G force centrifuges such as bowls which do not require a method to prevent packing(usually not very effective).Now high G force centrifuges are very effective but are very expensive as they require an expensive method to prevent packing. You see when you apply high G force to solids the stuff packs like concrete.
Your small centrifuge will run with high G forces with no method to prevent packing. They may be great for concentrating solids out of liquids. Wouldn't you just pack the material without any real concentration?

George

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
It won't work. If there is any gold in your cons at best you would have a few specks at the bottom of the test tube with everything else on top of the specks. How would you get the specks from the bottom of the test tube?

Test tube centrifuges are used for things like separating plasma from blood.

Search google and youtube for both types to see how different they are.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As others have noted it wouldn't be effective for gold.

Usually medical centrifuges are scrapped when the running gear can't be effectively rehabbed.

A high G centrifuge running on bad bearings or out of balance would be very effective shrapnel bomb if only the moment of catastrophic failure could be accurately predicted (sooner or later). :BangHead:

You might want to pass on this purchase. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As others have noted it wouldn't be effective for gold. Usually medical centrifuges are scrapped when the running gear can't be effectively rehabbed. A high G centrifuge running on bad bearings or out of balance would be very effective shrapnel bomb if only the moment of catastrophic failure could be accurately predicted (sooner or later). :BangHead: You might want to pass on this purchase. :laughing7: Heavy Pans

I second this. My original comment on use in commercial ops was not for a test tube style machine. I missed that detail in the original post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread