Hi All. I have some Q. I am new here

panzerdeni

Jul 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi @all. I have a few questions. Back when i was little maybe 5 years old my grandpa took me once on gold prospecting just for fun. I really like it unfortunately i never did go again. So it´s been really long time, 15 years i think. So any way. I am reading a lot for Gold Prospecting and all that stuff. This summer in August i will have some free time and i would love to go out near some river and camp for a couple of days, i really love nature, i hate being here in the city...
So any way. I have some questions that i would love some of you to help me.
So i am basically thinking of buying a hand water pump and the basic pans with sniffer bottle. My questions are:
I am looking at one pump that is working in hand is not with motor is this one http://goo.gl/k5SlNR and this pan http://goo.gl/ZHBSGX. Are they good for begging ? I mean are they enough basic for starting ?
Other question:
I read that a lot of people have trouble with black sand. I have a couple of Neodymium magnets can i catch all the black sand that way so i am left only with the gold being non magnet ? Or other way can i put it in Blue Bowl and get the gold out in that way ?
And my last and most important question is. I leave now in Spain i am reading more then a week now if it is legal gold paning in Spain. I saw a lot of people in videos and articles doing it but they don´t say if it is legal or not. I know that in US gold panning by hand is legal in all states but in some states is illegal using machines like dredges and stuff like that. So do you guys know if it is legal here in Spain ?
I am really thankful for all you guys / girls help.
And sorry i am new to the forum. But i wan to stay here for as long as i can and enjoy all of your stories and pictures, videos, etc..
Thank you and Great Regards from me Denis :).

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Denis Welcome to the forum. It is good that you want to find the gold. Stay as much as you can and you will learn more. Where are you located? Which river are you thinking about? Does the river have gold in it? A basic panning kit is all you need in the beginning.

First thing to do find out if there is gold in your area or the area you want to go.

Second thing to do learn where the gold is most likely to be where you want to go and how to find it.

Third thing to do learn how to use the gold pan effectively

Lots of learning = more gold. Others will chime in shortly. Listen to it all. Good Luck and ask questions.

GM

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get started, go where they found it before and get to moving material

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+ 1 to what Goldenmojo said.

And put your magnet inside a clear sandwich bag for easy release of the black sands. I learned that one the hard way.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
So much to learn. Don't be discouraged! Keep at it and have fun above all else. You never know what you will find!

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to practice panning, slice off some small peices of lead, mix into gravel and sand, and pan out. If you really want to put yourself to the test, pop a few balls from the tips of pens and pan them out. Typically, these are tungsten-carbide and are heavier than lead. But, because they're round, they will cause no end of grief when trying to pan. If you can pan them out, you can pan out any gold.

OP
OP
P

panzerdeni

Jul 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my dad was free. So we bought some pans simple ones for salad :D kind of cheap around 2.20 euro total.
We go to one river near my home. It actually is not really a river it is kind of man made river. They made is so they can get water for plant trees ( oranges ) and some other vegetables.
So we started i was not really prepare very good. I got in the water and i didn't even have a shovel LOOOL. I really enjoy the hour i spend there.
So i started panning some gravels and sands. I don´t really understand what type of sands they were but they were really sticky like cooking flour.
From a couple of pans i ended up with only really small amount of Black Sand. I know it was Black Sand because after we ended up we go to the car and i got my Neodymium magnet and put it below the pan and it was moving with the magnet. Unfortunately i had really small time around 40 minutes and 25 minutes was only walking :D lol.
What i notice was there there were really really small amount of black sand all most non and the dirt / sand was really sticky like flour :(.
I don´t really know. But it was cool i spend good time.
I was watching some Sluice Canals today. I know how i can make them by my self with home stuff and aluminum sheets. I would only need Miner Moss and a water pump. Do you guys think is good idea to try it ?
I mean normally on EBAY and AMAZON this stuff are really high prices like more then 400 USD i can make it for around 30 USD the Sluice canal and i would need pump and moss only to buy.
And i would only need to learn where to go get my material
So is this good idea to try it out ?
Thank you all. I spend around 3 hours last night searching and learning more stuff and i really enjoy it so yeah thank you all. Really good Website / Forum :).

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What country do you live in? Search the history of your area for gold that has been found there. Here is a homemade sluice box and a Bazooka supermini. If there is no gold where you are at you will not find any.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the gold in Spain is in the Northwest, in particular in the Omanas, Duerna, and Eria Rivers in the Duero region. The Romans found many thousands of kilograms of gold there. Many of the canals in that region were originally made to carry water to the placer mines there.

It sounds as if you may be near Omanas (Leon)? The white fine clay like flour there (kaolin) does contain some gold. You will need to pan from one of the local rivers themselves as an irrigation canal for bringing water to the plants is unsuitable for finding gold.

The green pan from Amazon is good for getting gold. Not so much for begging (I think you meant beginning empezar?). Otherwise your English is very good. :)

Here is a map that shows the good areas for gold in the Northwest. The darker colored areas are the areas of most interest.

2-32a2d25caf.jpg

I hope that helps you find gold on your holiday. I wish you much luck and patience for you will need both to find gold. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a lot to learn indeed. It's a long journey and you have to be willing to get down and dirty for that color. Sample Sample Sample is what I have learned from this forum along with many other things. Sampling is key to see if you are on the gold or you are wasting day light and energy. Really master panning because as people say around here that it starts and ends with a pan. Buy some pay dirt if you can, as you can really know if it is gold or not. You can learn the characteristics of gold as well, don't us lead as it is different from gold and I would not recommend it when learning to pan. Oh and Welcome to T-net
May your stay be an adventure in its own of learning.

OP
OP
P

panzerdeni

Jul 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the gold in Spain is in the Northwest, in particular in the Omanas, Duerna, and Eria Rivers in the Duero region. The Romans found many thousands of kilograms of gold there. Many of the canals in that region were originally made to carry water to the placer mines there.

It sounds as if you may be near Omanas (Leon)? The white fine clay like flour there (kaolin) does contain some gold. You will need to pan from one of the local rivers themselves as an irrigation canal for bringing water to the plants is unsuitable for finding gold.

The green pan from Amazon is good for getting gold. Not so much for begging (I think you meant beginning empezar?). Otherwise your English is very good. :)

Here is a map that shows the good areas for gold in the Northwest. The darker colored areas are the areas of most interest.

View attachment 1028693

I hope that helps you find gold on your holiday. I wish you much luck and patience for you will need both to find gold. :thumbsup:

Hey there Clay Diggins. I found the same picture that you show here Tertiary and Quaternary alluvial gold deposits of Northwest Spain and Roman mining (NW of Duero and Bierzo Basins) | F. Javier Sánchez-Palencia - Academia.edu. I was reading that page.
And unfortunately i leave really far from Leon. I leave in a small town near Valencia / Mediterranean Sea.
I also found this http://goo.gl/LU2ctC And from what i can see the territory of Leon is made of Cambrian to Lower Carboniferous in purple and Precambrian and Paleozoic metamorphic hard rocks. And from what i can see there is some areas near me around 250 km away.
I spend all most 4 and a half hours last night to search in what type of sedimentation / rocks is most likely to find gold. But unfortunately i didn´t find any information :(.
And thank you for saying my English is good. I am not from Spain BTW so i started learning English since i was 4 years old :P.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread