QUESTIONS

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha never heard of a microwave doing that before. One way is by panning it a certain way. I was taught this and told it isn't done by many people. It's a great technique and it really helps getting the fine gold out. You have to tap the pan when you are at the point where your going to go through your black sands. Give it some taps on the edge of the pan and move black sands away while tapping.

Once you got most of the gold you can see carefully start panning out a few black sands on the side of your pan that does not have the riffles. Be extremely careful as you will loose gold if you are not. Once you got some black sand gone give it some more taps and keep tapping till you see no more. Sorry if it's a little confusing it's hard to explain. Anyway hope this helped.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The shake and tap method works great, that's what I do all the time. You can see videos on YouTube by either Mike Pung (of gold cube fame), Doc from gold Hog or Ryan Finley of Goldstrike Adventures so get your search on!

On the microwave oven smelting, I recently got the gear to do this but haven't tried it yet myself. The core idea is to melt your combined black sands and gold with some flux. The flux makes the melt thinner aka more runny so the gold can all easily sink to the bottom. After it's cool you just smack the glassy flux off and there's your gold. I'm skipping a lot of steps here and this has multiple safety issues so I suggest you start by learning the shake and tap panning method.

Pro tip: shake and tap works best with everything bigger than 50 mesh removed from your cons. Also just a few spoonfuls of cons at a time if using a ten inch finish pan.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are using a sniffer bottle right? Picking up the fine gold from the pan is quite difficult without one.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How do you separate very fine gold out? Any secret? Also, I read somewhere you can use a microwave as a furnace? Anyone?

Thanks for your help!

First you have to have a crucible to put the gold in its like a little box made of some kind of stone, all this comes in a kit for around 60 bucks or so. The box is the same material they fire ceramics in , and all the materials to melt the gold. you then put it in a microwave if its a big enough microwave, Has to be a 70 watt or larger as a small microwave Won't WORK. Google up gold smeltering etc rwd mo

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also try the Miller Table / Chalk board method.

Set the Chalk board/Slate at an angle and then run a small pump to cover the surface in a light film of water.
Add your cons slowly and collect the gold.

Here is one video on it, lots of other video's out there too if you just YouTube Miller Table.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ol' blue bowl works just fine from Pioneer Mining in Auburn. Was DAM Industries back to mid 80s and has been my go to for over 30 years and many MANY pounds a gold from that righteous ol'thang. Ol'school green bowl(look ma no dam) is good for 1/8"-50 mesh,blue 50-300. -John

Attachments

• DSCN0589.JPG
    DSCN0589.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 114

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread