Recommendation - California Gold Panning

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be visiting California for a business trip this coming weekend. Normally my idea of treasure hunting is hitting the local thrift shops, yard sales, and (if space permits) good old metal detecting.

I've perfected my gold panning in an storage container at home with bags purchased off of eBay (seriously !!).

Anyway, I've tried some panning here in PA, but with two small children, they are easily bored and ready to move on to the next thing.

So, I'm thinking, since I will have part of Saturday free, why not try to find a place to pan for gold while I'm in CA.

Can anyone offer any recommendations on places close (I won't have a rental car) to San Francisco? Even if it's "touristy".

(FYI - my evenings will be spent touring the local thrift stores - if time permits)

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You need to go to the gold country which starts about 120 east of SF. Good luck thrift store hopping.

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya Mojo pretty much said it you need to go much farther from SF to go panning for gold. No use in walking unless you walk at 100 mph haha. But the golds 120 130 miles up from where your at.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PM sent with a couple tips...

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the info. I arrive at 9 am Saturday morning. Can't check into my hotel until afternoon. I'll let you know how I made out.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
San Francisco Beach ( Ocean Beach) , south of the Cliff House, black sand sometimes 4 to 6 inch's thick with very, very, very, very small gold,, seems the further south the better, cover yiour holes right away, Golden Gate park rangers get a little upset

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread