Klamath River Geology

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All,

In the next couple of days I will be heading up to the Klamath river to do some canoeing on the water and camp. I recently found out that we are camping on the river and since I know that the river is gold bearing I'm going to take some time researching. If anyone had any additional information based on experience it would be great if you could share it.

Thanks,
H&F

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck on your trip. Hope you find big gold!

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope I have time to mine. If not during the day then the night. But that's a thing I need to think over when I get there. Thanks Mojo.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
H&F..the Klamath definitely holds gold, but you'll want to be sure
you're not working on someone else's claim. If you do find the
area is claimed, a phone call or request to the claim owners might
get you permission to do some panning...otherwise you'll have to
find another spot.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
contact the new 49ers they allow day visits to check out their claims...you may run into someone with a claim who will let you dig theirs as well.

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be camping on the river and won't go far as it is a scout outing and I'm the SPL of it. I will only get a few hours of mining hopefully there is something I find. If I do happen to stumble upon a claim I probably will turn around. No use if I'm there for a few.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my knowledge (very limited) there are few places open to the public. If I were you, I'd approach anyone that's working on the river to see if you can try out your panning. Course, you may have to bring the whole troop alone with you... :happysmiley:

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did a little prospecting on the Klamath before happy camp in June. Paid 49ner club $50 to use any claim for up to a week. Most of the claims have been hit hard and in June the wAter was running high. Very dirty brown water, not good for snorkeling. Found very little gold but was worth exploring for a couple of days.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Filthiest river in the state according to water quality board/epa as starts in the us largest bird estuary-read tons a poop daily. Then farmers nitrogen laden runoff,then all homes ,campgrounds towns etc on septics,which hit the shallow bedrock and into the river. See them block long foam islands.........sickening mess as I do NOT mine in a toilet-John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gives a whole new meaning to crevicing........

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm on my way home from my trip. I had no time to mine anything at all. It was disappointing to me and I was not happy about it. Canoeing was a challenge but it was fun, saw lots of places above the river that could be mined. On our last day of canoeing I got out of the boat to go to the cars. What I saw was a couple of miners that were up at the bank using a highbanker. I was immediately interested in the miners. From what I heard about them, they were friendly. Our canoe leader said for us to go bother them, so we did.

(The leaders very sarcastic) anyway we said hello and he asked a question, if anyone has done any prospecting before. I said yes and I still do it. He went on about why they dug there and who he was apart of and what not. I just loved listening to him an seeing them mine. The rest of the group listened to me and him talk about mining and all of that. The group asked about how much money they made how big of gold they have gotten and what not. He was a great guy apparently over in this area because happy camp was closed cause of the fires. We talked and talked over the next few minutes.

He also took a handful of concentrates and showed us a pan. It looked great. Loved seeing the gold. I was ready to jump in and dig with them and pan some of the concentrates for them. But they were packing up. He did say that he would love to have some scouts up on an outing where he would teach them how to pan and get some gold. With that I got his contact info. Next summer I'm going to definitely meet him.

Sorry if there's anything that doesent make sense, I'm tired and sleepy and am having trouble thinking. Gonna get some more sleep.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad you did not get a chance to wet a pan. Time to get back to the NF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions