fine gold recovery

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
which is best fine gold recovery system? Blue Bowl, water table, other? Thanks for your input!

Well for the poor mans method is affective but I know it doesn't get every little bit out but I like it. First off I have never used a blue bowl myself but in sure others have before. A table is expensive and I would recommend it if you have a lot of material to run. Using a pan can be as affective as both but it's based on experience. Ok I will get to it now.

If your going through cons or going through the dirt from a crevice you do you normal panning. When your down to the gold and the black sand you should use the tap method. Doc from the Gold hog has a video on YouTube that explains it. I was personally thought by GoldenMojo which was a different way of tapping but worked very well. That's why this might be confusing as it is hard to explain.

Start with tapping the pans edge with the base of middle of your fingers. Tap it for a bit then have the water move wiping some of the black sands off while still tapping. Suck up the gold that's mostly gold and not the black sands. Keep doing this over and over. When you THINK you have all the gold turn the water and sands up to the smooth side of the of the pan. Carefully wipe some of the black sand out. You don't have to get rid of a lot, only a little bit at a time. Then do the same thing, use the tap. Do one quick look around in the black sand for big pieces because they like to hide in the sand. Look it up. Sorry it could be kind of confusing but I guess it's the best I could do of explaining.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
which is best fine gold recovery system? Blue Bowl, water table, other?

Thanks for your input!

The answer depends somewhat upon the volume of concentrates that you need to run.
In my case I typically save up 10 - 15 five gallon buckets full of material before I start the process.

Once the material has been concentrated/classified down to 1/8" I start the fine gold recovery process by running the 1/8" and smaller material through a gold cube which will reduce 10 five gallon buckets full of material to about 2 cups of super concentrate.

That super concentrate is then separated into 4 classifications before running on my miller table. 8 mesh, 16 mesh, 30 mesh, everything below 30 mesh. (Sometimes I get lazy and just run two classifications 1/8" to 1/16" and then anything smaller than 1/16")

Running close to the same size particles at the same time makes it easier to recover the gold due to it's greater density than any other particle it's size.

For instance trying to capture a -30 mesh particle of gold becomes more difficult if substantially larger particles say +16 mesh which require a faster flow are introduced into the slurry. The larger particles can also knock the smaller gold loose and keep it from being recovered.

Same goes for the blue bowl. The water speed vs classification is critical. Fast enough for the larger particles will wash the smaller gold over the drain. Must run similar size particles together for best results.

*Just remember classification is the key. Run as close to the same size particles together as you can. Adjust angle and flow as necessary. Smaller particles require slower flow.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so classification is the key. I kind of like the blue bowl, but not sure which way to go. thank you all for your help. how about muriatic acid, do some things survive it, like mica?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much material you need to process is the important question. A water table would be great if you have the volume of cons to make it pay.

OP
OP
shaman15771

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess a couple of pounds at a time. We're just getting into this and seem to be finding more silver than anything else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread