want to buy used GOLD HOG "HOG PAN"

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty new, I kinda doubt you'd find one used yet. Good luck!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has Doc even started full scale production yet?

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought one. And i think you have just as easy of a time finding a used bazooka, meaning not much. Works great, built great. Im a newbie and i love the hogpan! It can process material super fast. I leave the ur mat in it only takes s extra 20 secs to pull out and clean. Backpacks in great and captures everything! 0904152308b.jpg there are more fines in cons(newbie panning skills) i can see them with 20x loop but having heck of time pulling them free of little Quartz in with them. Thats what a vortex bowls for i guess.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you do not have any, invest in some classifiers. I would get 30 mesh 50 mesh and 100 mesh. It makes it easy to get the gold out of the black sands when everything is the same size. The gold will sink right under Sands of equal size

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a set, probably to many ; ) It seems that there is still fine gold in larger classifiers. I thought I was rinsing and shakeing material enough. But it seems not. I saw a video (maybe Jeff Williams) said to classifiy dry. But I figured water would be best. What do you think. Dry or just more water and time shakeing

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a set, probably to many ; ) It seems that there is still fine gold in larger classifiers. I thought I was rinsing and shakeing material enough. But it seems not. I saw a video (maybe Jeff Williams) said to classifiy dry. But I figured water would be best. What do you think. Dry or just more water and time shakeing

With water is best otherwise little stuff sticks to big stuff. You may be overloading the classifier or just need to stir a bit.

What sizes did you get and what size are you using that is jammed up and holding smalls?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If you are screening then processing freshly dug material then you will most likely end up with mixed material sizes due to clods or dirt sticking to larger rocks. Definitely sounds like you also may be overloading the classifier and/or not shaking it enough. For concentrates I think dry is better since it is easier to keep all the material moving around on the screen giving a better opportunity for smaller material to reach and fall through the openings. Under water works for sure and may be best for freshly dug material but it does require stirring and you can easily damage smaller screens.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The kit I bought came with 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/20 1/50 1/70 1/100 I use the 1/4 and 1/8 in the field and the rest for my cons. I have been finding fine in 1/50 thru 1/100. I think you guys hit the nail on the head I'm overloading it. Been using garden hose with spray and starting at one end and work my way across rotating in small circles and spinning classifiers back and forth. Next time I'm going to do about half of what I've been doing, spend more time rinsing and working cons. Didn't even think about over loading it, live and learn and correct.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a nice set of classifiers... A good assortment of sizes. Running material thru in sequence from biggest to finest mesh will also help prevent clog ups.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I don't know my sizes by memory like i thought. no 1/8, but a 1/12 instead and a 1/30 I forgot about that I noticed tonight sitting in my sons room full of gems and crystals. But now that I think about it a 1/8 would be nice to have in the field. Dang I have problem with acquiring tools.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I don't know my sizes by memory like i thought. no 1/8, but a 1/12 instead and a 1/30 I forgot about that I noticed tonight sitting in my sons room full of gems and crystals. But now that I think about it a 1/8 would be nice to have in the field. Dang I have problem with acquiring tools.

Sure you could sell off any extras. Craig's list or via a local club.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Utah Mason...........

I have posted this a number of times when people are having difficulty with their cleanups so here ya go.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/459664-art-gold-panning.html

The only thing I don't completely agree with is how he handles the black sands with a magnet, but that's just me because I use a system that's a little different for dealing with black sands.

Anyway hope this helps..... Heavy pans.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks just gave those videos a watch. There were a couple of things I was doing different. 1st I was using my wrist instead of elbow. 2nd the angle on which I was tapping, I was just banging on pan not thinking of angle of tap. I'm having most problem separating gold from one canyon in particular that has some silver content in gold(closer to 18k), making it slightly lighter then 24k gold. First thing I bought was a couple sets of pans and 3 bags of gold hog con's (wanted to see how gold reacted and looked in pan). Didn't have as much as problem separating fines with it or other 2 places I've been that had 24k gold. I have blue bowl, that's under going conversion to gold lab knock off. But being newbie I pan everything first for practice(and fun of course). I need to finish blue bowl build, getting way to many already panned material containers sitting around. Thanks again for video

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Your welcome, glad it helped......:thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks just gave those videos a watch. There were a couple of things I was doing different. 1st I was using my wrist instead of elbow. 2nd the angle on which I was tapping, I was just banging on pan not thinking of angle of tap. I'm having most problem separating gold from one canyon in particular that has some silver content in gold(closer to 18k), making it slightly lighter then 24k gold. First thing I bought was a couple sets of pans and 3 bags of gold hog con's (wanted to see how gold reacted and looked in pan). Didn't have as much as problem separating fines with it or other 2 places I've been that had 24k gold. I have blue bowl, that's under going conversion to gold lab knock off. But being newbie I pan everything first for practice(and fun of course). I need to finish blue bowl build, getting way to many already panned material containers sitting around. Thanks again for video

Wrist and tap angle were both my biggest problems too. I would guess that most people don't realize they are doing it incorrectly.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wrist and tap angle were both my biggest problems too. I would guess that most people don't realize they are doing it incorrectly.

That's what SHE said ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread