Panning in Maryland

FinderMan

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is it actually legal to pan for gold in MD? I just got my pan and want to go out and find the good stuff, and I want to do it honestly and legally. It is prohibited in the Great Falls park as well as all state parks apparently. Is there anybody in the MD area who can advise me (and perhaps even interested in coming with me)? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi FinderMan,

Sorry I can't help you with locations but I can tell you some advice before you go out. Do you know how to pan correctly? Have you practiced panning? Do you have a snuffer bottle? Have you done research about gold bearing areas in MD and the geology? Do you know the basic principle of gold coming down rivers and creeks? (Reading a river)

Just a few things you might want to have done before going out, they might be helpful. Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the forum :)

OP
OP
F

FinderMan

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi H&F909ORO,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do have a pan, a snuffer bottle, and a vial, and I have indeed done research on the gold-bearing areas in MD. I have also researched the principles of gold coming down rivers and creeks, particularly downstream from areas that are rich in vein quartz which tends to split open bedrock to release traces of gold and which kinds of deposits to look for before panning. The only thing I have not yet done, however, is actually pan. In the areas where my research has found to be the most promising, I am having a hard time finding a place where it is actually legal to pan. Thanks for the welcome!

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds to me like you have definitely completed your homework, but experience is needed as we all need it. While you hunt for a spot to start consider buying some pay dirt off ebay. It helped know how to pan. It's much better also as you can learn the characteristics of gold when out in the field. Helped me a lot, try to stay away from lead weights (my opinion) because it isn't the same as gold characteristics.

OP
OP
F

FinderMan

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a great idea! Never thought of buying pay dirt. Thanks for the help!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look here for info on historic mines. Search on Maryland and gold to find 33 mines! http://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/find-mrds.php
Then look for land near those areas where you can go sample...county or city owned maybe or even just ask a homeowner/landowner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FinderMan

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin! ptdub, I live in Baltimore. Since you are in Bethesda and Montgomery County is the best place in MD to find gold (according to my research), do you know of a place in your county where it is permitted?

ptdub

Mar 10, 2012
Potomac, MD / Central, NJ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@FinderMan. I hope you understand but i can't just share hard earned locations freely on the internet. If you do your research and put your time in on the field, you will surely obtain your own hard earned places with golden rewards ;)

Or you could also propose a time and place to scout locations and we can hit the creeks. PM me

Mar 29, 2015
Charlestown Md.
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone want to hit the creeks and streams with a rookie.... I'm dying to get out there and do some planning... I would also love to learn how to use and build a sluice box.... If anyone has any ideas on building one and would like some help I'm a machinist and Fabricator and would be more than willing to help... I love this stuff...

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Golden Retreiever68 -

Check out the Central Virginia Gold Prospectors Club, i believe they are the closest active club to you that leases multiple gold bearing properties. I know a couple of their members live up in Maryland as well. Also if you are on Facebook check out the Virginia Gold prospectors page, lots of people on there live near you and may be able to help. Also look up Contrary Creek, in Louisa County, you can access the creek from the road right of way and as long as you keep your feet wet you are legal, lots of prospectors go there, and its where i got started.

Virginia in general is friendlier to gold prospecting then Maryland.

Best of Luck!

peytonsb2010

Aug 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Bethesda area and have 2 sluices. If you wanted to go sluicing/panning, I will be free next week and would be able to bring all my gear. Also, if you wanted to pan out some of my paydirt with me, you're free to pan alongside me. I will give you a couple small nuggets for your efforts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread