Anyone panned sand from Lowes or Home Depot?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Anyone panned sand from Lowes or Home Depot?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    diginupdirt

Dec 2008
    Hot Springs, Ar
    Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Anyone panned sand from Lowes or Home Depot?

Hi, I've seen or read about people finding gold in bags of sand from the Home improvement stores. I'm just wondering what the response is from different parts of the country.

Sep 2013
    206 times
    I've found it in the sand bags at Home Depot. Roseville, ca. Not very much, but it's in there still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lownslow likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    519 times
    Prospecting
    I must have bought the wrong brand, or it came from AZ and not Cali.
    Mine had nothing. I think a 40#.
    Lownslow likes this.
    It's OK, it's over, now change your shorts.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    394 times
    Prospecting
    I'm in CA. Had two bags of Quickrete sand left over after a project. Not one spec in 100 lbs of sand.
    Aufisher and Lownslow like this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33503 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I forgot about This

I just saw about 5 Bags of Sand (I forgot the Brand )
    at a Yard Sale Friday I didn't check their Price
    I'll have to check today when I head out, But I'm pretty sure the sale was only Fri. & sat. odds are PA isn't getting west coast sand anyway
    Lownslow and trdking like this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4447 times
    Id only aquire this sand if you needed some sand! OR go to a sand and gravel plant close to where you live to save on fuel. I bought some years ago and asked about where they get their sand and I called them to ask exactly where the got it from. my next project will be to goto the sand and gravel plant that gets their material directly from the river. and ill buy a trailer load of unprocessed material and run it through a hibanker while fixing my brothers road of pot holes! 1 trailer load will let me know if ill do another. why pay a inflated price for this material when I could get a better deal on a trailer load.
    johnedoe, trdking and Lownslow like this.

us
    diginupdirt

Dec 2008
    Hot Springs, Ar
    Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
    9 times
    So after making this post yesterday, I went down to Lowes and bought 1 50lb bag of Quickcrete sand. It was from Georgia. cost $3.96 so I thought why not, after all they have gold in GA. I'm in Fayetteville AR. not much gold in these parts. I'll give my results after I pan this bag. (Something to do=))
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    175 times
    Prospecting
    It depends on where your at really. Lowes/Home Depot sand is usually locally sourced if at all possible because is not cost effective to ship sand hundreds of miles. If your in a gold area it's worth a shot. If there's no gold in your area then the sand will probably be barren as well.
    It's rare to see sand bags from GA as far away as Arkansas so I say go for it.
    Last edited by Sick4gold; Sep 22, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
    trdking, russau and Lownslow like this.

us
    diginupdirt

Dec 2008
    Hot Springs, Ar
    9 times
    Here in AR they do mine sand out of the Arkansas River about 50 miles from me. So I guess it could have a little gold, I know one guy on here (TQ) who goes to the AR river around Ft Smith for material. He runs it through a cool trumel he built and then through a Gold Cube. He gets like 100 mesh gold out of it.

Sep 2014
    72 times
    Wow, panning lowes sand!? Funny!! I was seriously thinking panning here at the bay.. I'm
    In the Bay Area CA, I've been going to the gold country every weekend, but I'm bored here... So I metal detect when I'm not working. There's a lot of sandstone and giant walls of dirt by the shore here (I live like 50' from the bay). I'm seriously considering just running a few pans of that dirt, or even check the cracks in the sand stone for the hell of it... What do you folks think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    trdking and Lownslow like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    169 times
    I posted a similar thread about a year ago on Home Depot sand and got many replies. But I would say unless you are doing a project that requires sand I wouldn't waste to much time .
    Lownslow likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Lincolnton North Carolina
    30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box. Various Gold Pans
    1303 times
    Prospecting
    i saw a video on youtube about this. Gold was recovered but nothing worth the time from my understanding.
    425jesse and Lownslow like this.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle

"Show me a man who resorts to violence, and I'll show you a man who has run out of good ideas." My Father, Robert Akers

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2224 times
    There is an episode of gold fever where Tom buys quick rite sand which is dug down in so cal and runs it through his sluice and finds pretty decent gold, our atleast more than a few specs.. All depends on where the sand comes from.. in the same episode he finds gold in the cracks of the huge aqua duct system they have down there in la, also finds a huge kitchen knife someone threw in there, prolly a murder weapon lol..
    Lownslow likes this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

us
    Jun 2014
    Lubbock Texas
    7 times
    I tried 2 bags once and found some gold not enough to be worth the trouble but it had color
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4707 times
    Prospecting
    If your in Gold country pan downstream from the gravel plant....
    arizau and Aufisher like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links