West michigan gold??

Tori_Gold89

Greenie
Oct 12, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not new to panning or sluice boxing for gold. I have always loved looking for gold, coins, artifacts, etc. but right now my boyfriend and I are trying to find places to look for gold. We live near the Muskegon river and have friends and family around to travel for different places but I wanted to see if anyone in the lower peninsula in western michigan has found any flecks either panning or sluicing. I would love to hear your stories

Upvote 0

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My In-laws live in Rose City and found this over this past weekend (spent about 4hrs digging total over 2 days) .
20141129_122552.jpg
I used a 30" Prospector BGT.
20141129_093749.jpg
I have friends who live in the UP and have found gold there. Just get out there. As they saying goes, gold is where you find it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No personal experience but Muskellonge Lake beach sands are enthusiastically worked by people who post on goldprospectorsspace.com (in the Michigan Prospectors group there)

panman1963

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Grand Rapids and most rivers to the east of there have the best deposits of glacier gold. A short trip to Rockford on the rogue river had some color here are some pictures ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424529460.521195.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424529490.622024.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424529531.275490.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424529564.878082.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424529590.363427.jpg
Also found Native silver and copper as shown in the one picture

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a bit of silver in the U.P., never any gold. However Lake superior black sands and a Gold Cube is supposed to work very well. The gold Cube was invented just for Lake Michigan and Superior's black sands.

panman1963

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Grand Rapids Mi again yesterday spent 5 hrs panning there with my buddy and another panner that was already there we all did pretty good and found my biggest gold flake ever it weighs 2\10 of a gram. Included in my pictures it was a great day!!!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much flour gold in the beach sand on the WI side of the Lake. Did pull a BB sized nugget in a sample bucket as the exception to the rule. Been hitting 4-5 specks per 6 gal bucket average with 10-20 lbs of magnetite in the same. Best places seem to be at river mouths. If you have glacial gravel on the beach, you may find black sand under about 6" of gravel/blond sand.

In the UP, I'm about to sample a submerged waterfall pit and streambed. It's like Munising Falls, but the glacier lopped it off, and the rising lake submerged it. Only bad part is the depth! I'll have only about a 1/2 hour of air time. The pit and streambed are filled with boulders and rubble with bare bedrock on either side. Should be some big Canadian gold in there, that didn't get ground as much. Also stay away from the streams, as most are trout/salmon designated and off limits for mining.(figures!) Look for agates too! Copper replacement agates are worth big bucks if you find one!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have found quite a bit of silver in the U.P., never any gold. However Lake superior black sands and a Gold Cube is supposed to work very well. The gold Cube was invented just for Lake Michigan and Superior's black sands.

And the Gold Cube works pretty darn good everywhere else also! Thanks Mike and Red!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions