How much gold did you get in your first season?

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just curious being that we (my husband and I) really got into prospecting this spring. We haven't gotten much, but in the spot we've been going it's only "hands and pans" ( so stupid ). Loving the hunt, the outdoors, and it just adds to my love of hiking.

Here's are measly take thus far... don't laugh too hard guys. A hair under a gram. All the same gold, just different piles.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Classified it today. 10, 20 and 30.
our gold.jpg

Also, does anyone know the laws regarding waterways under bridges? There are several creek bridges where I could totally park and pan or set up a sluice, but who owns the property under a roadway? Would love some education in this area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a question that doesn't really matter as everyone's technique, eye, effort, tools and land vary considerably.

All that matters is what your already know, its too much fun to stop. :)

I will say that my first time ever sniping was close to 2 grams my second day I found a nice nugget the same size and shape as a Gold Fish cracker, somewhere around 3 grams but she is long gone now. :(

Keep up the good hunt and Cover as much ground as you can, always look for bedrock, hardpack and clay. :)

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a question that doesn't really matter as everyone's technique, eye, effort, tools and land vary considerably.

All that matters is what your already know, its too much fun to stop. :)

I will say that my first time ever sniping was close to 2 grams my second day I found a nice nugget the same size and shape as a Gold Fish cracker, somewhere around 3 grams but she is long gone now. :(

Keep up the good hunt and Cover as much ground as you can, always look for bedrock, hardpack and clay. :)

Yeah, I know everyone's experiences will be different and we all live in different states and gold rich areas so every persons results will differ. I just wanna hear discussion and everyone's stories mostly, would be great!

Our gold thus far is basically all from behind one huge boulder that we cleaned moving the gravel around with our pans since we aren't allowed to have shovels in this particular river area. We've learned a whole lot, had good times and gold flakes.

That's awesome! I have a snorkel and have looked for gold underwater but haven't found any yet, mostly due to being distracted by the underwater beauty as I had never snorkeled in a natural body of water until this year. Friggin' awesome!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping is my all time favorite way to prospect.
I would look into the rules there and see if sniping is allowed, but it kinda sound like its not. :(

Take the opportunity this winter to research area's that you can really let loose and rip into some overburden to find gold.
There are lots of places out there, heck even clubs are worth a look.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
still in my first season but ive got somewhere around a gram and a half.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bridges- depends on where your talking about, meaning what is the status of the watershed, is it open for mining and public access. Or is the surrounding property private, and the bridge an easement? Under many of the bridges in my area are popular for prospecting. What area are you and your husband mining? PM if you'd like, maybe I can help you all out.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got about a gram my first season as well. Of course I tripled that with my bazooka on the second year (And I didn't get out as much this year gosh darn it... :) )

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I snipe (favorite when it's hot) cause I think it's so much fun, but no nuggets that way yet, just flakes. Panning (above water crevices) is how I've found the most gold, which is still not that much. And detecting is my favorite. Only found that one piece, but I think the potential for BIG gold is much higher with the detector. If I had to pick one to live on though, sniping

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sniping is my all time favorite way to prospect.
I would look into the rules there and see if sniping is allowed, but it kinda sound like its not. :(

Take the opportunity this winter to research area's that you can really let loose and rip into some overburden to find gold.
There are lots of places out there, heck even clubs are worth a look.

There's nothing in the rules about sniping, and snorkeling is aloud. The area we've been going to is the South Yuba. They used to allow sluicing, but not anymore.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bridges- depends on where your talking about, meaning what is the status of the watershed, is it open for mining and public access. Or is the surrounding property private, and the bridge an easement? Under many of the bridges in my area are popular for prospecting. What area are you and your husband mining? PM if you'd like, maybe I can help you all out.

Oh that makes me feel good! So stoked about the bazooka! Thanks!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2.3 grams my first year. Got the Bazooka power now so probably over 10 grams in the second year.

TravyLeigh

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a lot of people who average 1 pennyweight a day with sluicing. 5+ grams a day with other methods

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no idea how much I got. I gave some to to different people and family members. I like what you have on the sheet of glass. I would go back to that area. Great looking gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first year was 1989, pans only, way less than a gram so you are doing well!

These days I do much better when I focus...a gram a month of fine CO gold or so. Teaching kids to pan (as a volunteer), helping a friend with his prospecting outfitting biz and showing newbies around really cuts into my production but hey, it's all fun!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since you can snipe I highly recommend it!
Just follow the bedrock. :)

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing it for years now, and while I don't have a scale to confirm, I'd bet the farm I don't have a gram yet. Granted I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to, but I'd say you are doing well!!

555304_10101639388933379_2386291_n.jpg

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Not enough to quit my day job!" He he. I have no idea, I fondle it, stare at it, clean it (again and again), hoard it when I can and hate selling it but I rarely weigh it. However I heard the local Head shop was having a "seasonal" sale on scales and just bought a very nice commercial model with a 6" scale plate for $32 bucks. Checked it against my RCBS powder scale and its dead nuts. So I view I will be adding constant weighing to the mix.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
For my first season, July through July, I estimate about 7+ grams. I live in gold country and get out at least four days a month. I've put in a lot of hours of hiking, digging, classifying, panning and/or sluicing and/or highbanking. I am at 3+ grams already since July setting a goal for myself of an ounce for my second season by next July. The area i am currently working is producing 1/4 to 1/2 a gram each time i go out and work the "PAY LAYER". I usually run 7-10 5 gal buckets wet classified to 1/2" filling them 3/4 full over 6-7 hours depeding on how long my back holds out.

OP
OP
The Gilded Lens

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Totally off topic, but this is what happens when they let me dress the mannequin at work :) Stuck inside all day not prospecting.

Attachments

• image-4122154062.jpg
    image-4122154062.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say who owns the land under the bridge. My understanding is that in Oregon, DOT will own the property the state roads are on. On county roads, the county simply has an easement and if passing through private property, belongs to the surrounding property owner. If the bridge is in federal land, then it may be already claimed and so not available for prospecting. After all, the only property rights obtained from the road passing through are the right of way.

At least that's the rules I go by..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread