The Pram Concentrator

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some years ago I came up with this & called it the Pram Concentrator, tried to make it work dry but no way :unhappysmiley:

With water it worked very simple ~ chuck in a bucket of water then a bucket of material , rock back & forth & at the same time hand pump the blue handle that works as an agitator , stop after 30 seconds & unclip the clamps the slide out the bottom trap that holds about a cup of heavies .

Because there's no water were I go ' the thing was never used :-[

004 (640x480).jpg

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar principle to a Montana rocker pan or a River Rocker. It looks like it can take some abuse Jack !

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy do I have the perfect use for that. I'd mount it on one of those harbor freight expanded metal racks that plug into your receiver hitch. Throw a couple Jerry cans of agua in the back of the truck and hit all the winter run gullies and run off ditches I've been wanting to hit over the years. Whole lot nicer having two or three buckets of cons to deal with then a pickup truck full of semi classified buckets.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rocking it back and forth isn't enough to quickly settle the heavies, jostling, shaking and vibration is key to quickly moving heavies down.

NOW, outfit that thing with a little 9v or 12v powered vibrating motor on either side and you got a rig that would quickly move those heavies to the cup.
You could also just build one into the agitator, like one of those Concrete vibrators.

A manual way to do this is to put bumps on the rockers so that as you rock it, it hits a bump and causes a momentary stratification allowing more heavies to settle quicker.

Another suggestion for ease of portability, grab a plastic welder and the same heavy duty ABS that Bazooka uses and start putting them together like that.
Bazooka's take a ton of abuse and I have not heard of one breaking yet, especially not one of the thicker made ones.

For the rockers I would however still recommend using formed metal.
It would not be hard to rivet it to the ABS body, just use proper supporting framework to reduce stress points.
Perhaps make the thing removable and usable as large pan.
Also, taking an idea from the Pyramid Pro Pan, add riffles on the sides to prevent heavies from coming up the sides.

I like the idea, I think a refined version would have a lot of practical use. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rocking it back and forth isn't enough to quickly settle the heavies, jostling, shaking and vibration is key to quickly moving heavies down.

NOW, outfit that thing with a little 9v or 12v powered vibrating motor on either side and you got a rig that would quickly move those heavies to the cup.
You could also just build one into the agitator, like one of those Concrete vibrators.

A manual way to do this is to put bumps on the rockers so that as you rock it, it hits a bump and causes a momentary stratification allowing more heavies to settle quicker.

Another suggestion for ease of portability, grab a plastic welder and the same heavy duty ABS that Bazooka uses and start putting them together like that.
Bazooka's take a ton of abuse and I have not heard of one breaking yet, especially not one of the thicker made ones.

For the rockers I would however still recommend using formed metal.
It would not be hard to rivet it to the ABS body, just use proper supporting framework to reduce stress points.
Perhaps make the thing removable and usable as large pan.
Also, taking an idea from the Pyramid Pro Pan, add riffles on the sides to prevent heavies from coming up the sides.

I like the idea, I think a refined version would have a lot of practical use. :)

Thanks NeoTokyo for all the good ideas , the trouble was the lack of water in the desert I live in ' so I gave up on the Pram and made the Gold Churn , works good with dry material :) see it under dry washers on this forum .

Cheers
Jack .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread