Central Indiana Panning

jbnick

Feb 3, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 300 DFX
Been on the site for a while now exclusively on the metal detecting side of things but have recently moved to Bloomington, IN and would like to try my hand at some panning. I would be very appreciative of any advice for someone with no experience but a willingness to work hard. Equipment, regulations, locations, clubs etc. Additionally, if anyone in the Bloomington area would like to go metal detecting or panning sometime please let me know and we can try to meet up!

Upvote 0

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your still in Bloomington your in a good area.I am in Columbus and almost always up for some prospecting or detecting.I favor prospecting wife prefers detecting.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgan-Monroe and Yellowwood are closest to you, both are pan only, and you have to get a permit from the park. The west fork of the White River is also near you, so is Indian Creek just up SR37, if you can find access to either you may find some gold. I live down near Louisville, and have plenty of equipment but nowhere to work with it other than Gatesville and other heavily worked places. If I have to drive that far then Bloomy isn't a stretch for me, the nearest gold bearing stream to me is two counties away anyway. PM if you'd like to get together after things warm up.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevin1 I sure understand gatesville is worked alot but it does keep giving up color.I normally pick places others dont go.I dont mind gatesville however simply because Robin here is a business owner who provides so much to us.....I like to support such people I buy stuff even if I dont want or need it.Gatesville store is a blessing to hobby prospectors.I wish all states were lucky enough to have such places.

Also Cottonwood trails is decent but also worked hard and there are fees.There are a ton of places in Indiana to go but I certainly prefer the off the beaten path unused spots.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Slink, I've been toying with the idea of coming up your way lately. The DNR wildlife bulletin says that they recently bought several hundred acres on the Scott-Jackson line of the Muscatatuck for their conservation project there. I wonder where that property lies, and whether or not they'll allow prospecting.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
What ever your plans are in Indiana prospecting, make sure that you follow IDNR rules. Chuck Lassiter and Mike Phelps and a lot of other people worked real hard with the IDNR to come up with some guidelines to allow prospecting / dredgeing. and watchout for the wacoenviromentalists that watch prospectors / dredgers and are just looking to find someone breaking the rules. this happened at Attica In. a few years back and that prompted getting involved these men in assisting in formulating the guide lines! Im sure you do this BUT it only takes 1 person to mess up a lot of work these men helped with! goodluck with your prospecting this year!

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the IDNR Div. of Water on speed dial for that very reason, and I download any rules changes when they occur. The guy who's president of the Central Indiana chapter of GPAA posts on a hunting site I visit often, he makes sure we hear about any changes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread