fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, Hematite, Magnetite (both are iron oxides), and gold coated in iron oxides are the make up of Black Sands. Depends on the person. Some stop processing after they have removed the visible gold, and others consider it a challenge and worth their time and effort to extract everything they can. A factor in your decision is how much gold is in your black sands (cons)? You can shake and bake, or soak it in muriatic acid or vinegar for an hour or so and see how much more gold you get, and if its worth your time. Do a search there are plenty of how to's for this. You can also send your cons to someone else for processing. I process out the visible gold and save the rest by dumping them in the flower beds. Then I can grab a pan full to have some fun with on a rainy day or keep as my savings account for my ancient days.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you treat hematite the same as black sand. I know it takes a stronger magnet. To pull it out of the cons. But is it worth keeping. To process like black sands. To get the gold out of it.

Black sands include all sorts of minerals, like ilmenite (a titanium iron oxide), magnetite, hematite, and other iron minerals.

Fowledup gave you a good summary to answer your other questions. BTW, I save mine until I get enough to process.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Then I can grab a pan full to have some fun with on a rainy day or keep as my savings account for my ancient days.

So you going to start working those next week Fowled? ??? Sorry man... I just couldn't help myself :laughing7: you have to admit you left yourself WIDE open for that one!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I did, and yes I may! You were saying that cause it might rain here tomorrow right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread