diy classifier

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can try what I did. I cut 6 inches off the bottom of a bucket, and replaced it with 1/4 inch galvanized mesh. Works great! I tried what you are talking about and it didn't work very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, a great resource for prospecting stuff are thrift stores. A lot of usable items for next to nothing. G/L

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thinking about a torch to melt the plastic around the mesh, should work.
yup that works but how about getting a sluice that doesn't require classifying?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are in the panning forum Kevin...lol, but I do greatly agree on your point.:occasion14:
oops, right! Classifying is key to productive panning ...my bad.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

Nov 8, 2014
Greeneville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the mountains of NE Tennessee a sluice would be overkill with the one speck I might find or nothing at all.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the mountains of NE Tennessee a sluice would be overkill with the one speck I might find or nothing at all.

Actually it wouldn't be overkill. You may not be finding much panning, but with a sluice more material can be ran, thus giving more gold. The whole reason behind upgrading equipment.
HH
enamel7

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed and someone above mention melting into the plastic...

This video has inspired me to weld up my own spillway for my recirculating sluice setup. Well done!

Also, almost everything with holes in it can be a diy classifier. I'm banned from taking anything further out of the kitchen... :D
25941_285.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=429732&d=1328329675.jpg

Last edited:

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
I made one of my classifiers with wood and the 1/4 in. mesh. I cut the wood into my desired size and then stapled the mesh to with a staple gun. It's a square shape and has worked very well. Only flaw to it is, is it had the sharp ends of the mesh pointing to your hands you would need gloves to use it.

One thing that surprised me was the amount of weight it is able to handle. If I were to give it an estimate I would say it can hold up to about 8 or more pounds on it. That gives me a question to ask.

How much should weight should a classifier be able to take?

It would definitely depend on the classifier, but what would your opinion be?

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This video has inspired me to weld up my own spillway for my recirculating sluice setup. Well done!

Also, almost everything with holes in it can be a diy classifier. I'm banned from taking anything further out of the kitchen... :D
You do not want to go into a thrift store then...

php03wAQMPM.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread