Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't expect gold in every pan, if it was easy to find it wouldn't be worth much.

Research the stream you're on to find out if there is gold there, if you found black sand you probably were digging in the right spot gravity wise.

Don't give up, good luck.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the location your panning have a history of gold in it? If so~ try try try again :) Gold is where you find it.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, where are you?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much experience to you have in panning? When all you have is fines, it's not as easy as the old-timers make it look.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice:

Go deep. Think like gold, it's very "lazy" it will find the path of least resistance down a river. Look for gravel or rounded stones. When you are at a place where you think there may be gold look up stream. Then turn around and look downstream. If you were fat and lazy like gold and are traveling slowly down the river, are you in the right spot? When you start to dig down, gold is lazy there too. If it can find some clay or bedrock or a bunch of rocks to stop it from going further down it will be there. If there are other prospectors in your area, and with the right kind of eye, you can spot signs of other people working. Old wing dam, big drops, evidence of tailing piles etc.

Watch your river in the winter spring and summer, where does the water flow when its really high? When it's low? What obstacles can the gold hide behind, and what would it's ideal path be in those higher or lower water times?

Keep at it, you'll find some :)
Good luck!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always wonder if I should have dug another 6" to the side when I come up empty before moving on.....The better gold will always be just 1 more shovel full away. The trick is to not give up until you get that shovel full.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is gold in the area, it could be that the area you worked has been worked recently, maybe several times. One thing I see from people new to prospecting, they go to the classic spot to dig, that spot that looks just like the books described, what they don't take into account is that every other prospector saw that 'perfect' spot and has already dug there, several times. Look through this forum and look for topics on terraces, look for more obscure places that others have overlooked, try in front of a large bolder instead of behind it, break open some cracks cause you know nobody else has. The easy stuff is mostly gone, now we're going after the not so easy/obvious gold. Good luck!

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WP_20140616_004.jpg Look for spots like this

WP_20140616_007.jpg

WP_20140616_009.jpg

WP_20140628_003.jpg

WP_20140910_002.jpg the creek that I work has looked like his 4 times in the last 9 years and then I have seen it with on water at all 2 times oh and the high water is after a 3" rain. good luck

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like some more information is called for here before anyone can give you the correct answer to your question.

1. What is your location?
2. Is there a history of gold in that area?
3. Is your panning technique a valid one?
4. Where did you dig and how deep did you go?

Panning is the first and last step in prospecting so you need to become good at it and that takes practice. You pan samples to find an area that's worth working and once you've worked it down to concentrates by whatever means (Sluice, drywasher, dredge etc) you use a pan to remove the gold.

You will NEVER see someone that relies strictly on panning anymmore to get gold because it's a lot of work and is also a very slow way to process dirt. Everything gets run through a sluice, drywasher or dredge to get the junk out of it and make it so you're only working the heavier materials when you do get to the panning stage.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
You didnt find gold because there was no gold in the dirt you dug. Next step, find new dirt that does have gold in it!!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where are you? Maybe someone here can direct you to some gold bearing areas near you if we know where that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread