Is there gold in Western North Carolina?

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See map. I'm about to attempt to try and find some gold in far western NC. I've been reading up on where gold settles in creeks and stuff and I have zero experience in this. I've bought my pans and thats it.

Also, I cannot pan in the areas of the National Forest, can I? Thats exactly the area I'm in so I may have to to travel slightly.

ncjpg_zps95c6f74a.png

Attachments

• ncjpg_zps95c6f74a.png
    ncjpg_zps95c6f74a.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 2,081
Upvote 0

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extreme Western N.C. has gold but it is difficult to find. Area makes Cambodia look like Kansas LOL! Look on a map and find Shuler creek off hwy 68 in tennessee and follow it to the edge of N.C. to a place called brush creek. This is in the national forest of N.C. Lots of Cherokee and Muledgon mines here and extensive hard rock mining that isn't registered on any gold map (some of these contain high grade silver ore). You have to walk in to find them. Beware, the rattlesnake fangs haven't been used since sharpened and the Russian boar have 7 inch cutters. Of course the bear and the mountain lions are worse :) It is no place for a presbyterian, nor will you remain one for very long LOL!

Never go in there alone. Never go in there unarmed. Unless you want to make the cover of the next "Missing 411 Book". :)

(by armed I mean really armed! I carry a lever action 45-70 and a 44 magnum sidearm in there. Don't worry about Rangers, they aren't silly enough to be back in there to start with.)

OP
OP
justin35

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Extreme Western N.C. has gold but it is difficult to find. Area makes Cambodia look like Kansas LOL! Look on a map and find Shuler creek off hwy 68 in tennessee and follow it to the edge of N.C. to a place called brush creek. This is in the national forest of N.C. Lots of Cherokee and Muledgon mines here and extensive hard rock mining that isn't registered on any gold map (some of these contain high grade silver ore). You have to walk in to find them. Beware, the rattlesnake fangs haven't been used since sharpened and the Russian boar have 7 inch cutters. Of course the bear and the mountain lions are worse :) It is no place for a presbyterian, nor will you remain one for very long LOL!

Never go in there alone. Never go in there unarmed. Unless you want to make the cover of the next "Missing 411 Book". :)

(by armed I mean really armed! I carry a lever action 45-70 and a 44 magnum sidearm in there. Don't worry about Rangers, they aren't silly enough to be back in there to start with.)

I came to this thread again wanting to bump it up and to say I'm moving to the area in question and around Xmas I plan on doing some panning.

I'll have to check out this area you're talking about. Sounds interesting.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Preliminary_map_showing_location_of_principal_gold_deposits_in_North_Carolina.jpg

View attachment GOLD LOCATIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA.doc

I panned at the paid site Thermal City (Rt. 221 South of Marion) last year. Right crowded at the time, skunked all day long in the Newbie panning trough, but then moved into the creek/river and found color = not a whole lot, but broke the ice.

OP
OP
justin35

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Shuler Creek looks to be the more remote of the 2. Are you sure I need to get to Brush Creek?
brush creek.JPG

shuler creek.JPG

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure but I heard of that NC. was the first place to have gold even before the 49ER'S in Calif. I want to say the reed mine area is where it all got started the nugget or at that time should I say BOULDER it was being used as a door stop plus it was to weigh in at 3lbs. The door stop was bought and the rest is history
I had heard in passing someone say that the largest gold nugget was found in NC. Does anyone know it's size? I'm just curious.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, not largest nugget but first discovery of gold. I'm lucky enough to live in the area!

OP
OP
justin35

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, not largest nugget but first discovery of gold. I'm lucky enough to live in the area!

What part exactly? I'm officially moving to Robbinsville in a couple weeks. It'll be a big change from the big city.

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Reeds gold mine. You can still pan there for a few. North Carolina was one of the largest producers of gold that they had a mint in Charlotte. I grew up in Rowan County and the Gold Hill area has some very rich mines at one time. I was recently invited to go up and pan some of the tailings from years before. This spring we may go over and check it out. I am now in the Gaston county area and there are so any mines here it is crazy. I have found a book that everyone in NC should read. It was free by doing a Google search about gold mining in the carolinas. If I can find it in will post the link.
If any of yall want to start a club or get together on the weekends let's start something up. My good friend and I spent many days just out panning and hanging out. Finding gold is always a plus but just hanging out is the best.

OP
OP
justin35

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, Reeds gold mine. You can still pan there for a few. North Carolina was one of the largest producers of gold that they had a mint in Charlotte. I grew up in Rowan County and the Gold Hill area has some very rich mines at one time. I was recently invited to go up and pan some of the tailings from years before. This spring we may go over and check it out. I am now in the Gaston county area and there are so any mines here it is crazy. I have found a book that everyone in NC should read. It was free by doing a Google search about gold mining in the carolinas. If I can find it in will post the link.
If any of yall want to start a club or get together on the weekends let's start something up. My good friend and I spent many days just out panning and hanging out. Finding gold is always a plus but just hanging out is the best.

Good to know. You're pretty far away from me as I'm in Graham County, the far western part. AKA the land of no cell coverage and spotty internet. :/

I havent taken my pan out yet because I'm pretty sure the water is still freezing cold. Although if this weather keeps up, it wont be for long.

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weather has been beautiful. In the winter I usually set up my highbanker in the garage and right before fall ends i get several buckets to keep me busy during the cold. I am lucky though, I have a creek just steps behind the house and a river 75 yards in the front.
There is a lot of history here with the Catawba Indians and the cotton/iron mills on the river. You can find all kinds of things just walking and looking.
I have one piece I obtained from up in Cherokee out of the river some years back. I finally made it into a necklace. I am not sure if it is an ancient bear claw or some kind of animal tooth.
You ever get down this way pm me and we can go out back in the creek and see what she holds. There is just way to much for me to cover.

OP
OP
justin35

justin35

Greenie
Dec 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so I went to the local (only) hobby store. If ever there was a question about whether gold is in the area or not, it has been answered. There most certainly is!

The guy had lots of gold collecting stuff. Sluices, various pans, obviously detectors, mats, etc. He said yes there is a lot of gold in the area and that the gold rush basically started here before it went to GA the CA then AK. Gold corner of the store:

45A80585-69A4-465C-B27E-CAB2E4727C05_zpsnnyfz28v.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool!
As much as I like to support local stores, that gear looks sub-par. Don't buy until you see some local prospectors in action. Maybe as a guest at a local club outing or some pay to dig spots.

1obxdiver

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2005
Morganton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
none yet
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello fellow Prospectors, I live in Morganton nc now, and Im looking for someone to go prospecting with ,Ive had pretty good luck with this forum in other adventures ,looking forward to a responce .......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread