Buying Pay Dirt

david6789

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2014
Austin, Texas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I got my son and I some gold pans for xmas. I know he will want to practice right away xmas morning.

I see pay dirt or cons for sale on ebay but I am 99% sure its a scam.

I would like my son to get the experience of find some gold in a pan (and hey me too!). Are they any ebay sellars that are not going to scam us if we buy a pound or two?

Obviously I know we will get dramatically less gold (in value) then the money we buy the pay dirt for but some decent/good color would be awesome for him to experience.

Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can recommend two sellers on ebay, if you would like. And welcome to treasure net

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't tried them yet and probably will but soon but "Dirt Hogg" seems to come up often
Gold Concentrates - Dirthogg Paydirt

Here's a guy on youtube going thru a bag of the stuff from dirt Hogg....."Ask Jeff Williams" Pretty entertaining guy for sure and i've watched just about all of his gold videos

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldhog also sells them on his site. Probable decent gold with the bonus of some natural Georgia gems.
Gold Concentrates for Sale
Goldhog is a well known and reputable firm and is a regular contributor of posts to Treasurenet.
Make sure you and your son watch some videos of proper panning techniques to point you in the right direction in this learning process.
http://www.goldhog.com/how_to_pan_for_gold.htm
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...3&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+to+pan+for+gold

Don't toss your concentrates. They can be remixed and the process restarted for practice purposes or to ensure that you recover all of the gold contained.

Have fun!

Last edited:

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a 2# bag from goldminenc on ebay for $20, this is the gold that I got.
20141105_115435.jpg

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. I see that nobody warned you just how addictive hunting for gold can be. Once you guys see some gold at the edge of the pan, you'll be hooked. Next summer, you'll have to vacation in gold country LOL.

There are at least a couple of other members here that sell paydirt.

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As one of the previous posters recommended, you're way better off buying raw gold fines and mixing your own. That way you definitely know exactly how much gold you have, and if your panning skills are up to par on whether you end up with what you started with. I know the "pay dirt" guys have to make a living, but anybody that knows simple math will know that you're paying anywhere from a 50%-100% markup on the gold contained in their mixed dirt. The sad part is you don't know how much gold is contained in the dirt you buy, so you'll never really know if you've panned it all out or not.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I never purchased any paydirt and i may soon..... I like your idea as i have plenty of desert dirt here to mix in but DirtHogg tells you how much gold is sprinkled into each bag. but like you say probably less to do it yourself.
Whoever buys that Rokon is in for one hell of a good deal.....

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Dirthog two pound bag is over $110 with shipping and has one gram of gold. If there is any truth to posts that I have seen the gold is about 14 karat. One gram of 14k is worth about $22. Even if by some freak of nature their gold was 24k it would be worth $39.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to T-Net.

Playing with paydirt can but fun but I can not stress this enough, you are not buying it to make a profit or even break even, you are buying it for the experience, a learning tool, something to do on a rainy day or as a gift.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won a free bag from Goldhog a while back and was very happy with it. They spent good money shipping me a free bag and it had some gold in it . There were other gems in it as well. In my opinion they are Top notch !

EvilVOG

Feb 7, 2014
Brownstown, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a bunch of gold paydirt last year from pretty much everyone on ebay. Almost none of it was dissapointing. There's a thread around here where I was reviewing them before I got sidetracked in the spring.

The N.C. gold mentioned earlier was some of the best I bought.

Most everything I bought was good and rarely did I spend more than $20. I have lots of dirt coming now and a new high banker to run it on. I will update when I get it all together.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its good to get fresh reviews on paydirt because it is always changing.
It should be loads of fun, make a couple video's too if you want. :)

Also, welcome back. :D

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received a bag of paydirt from dirt hogg I won a little over a week ago. By luck it is one of their bonus bags so should be good. I'll keep you informed.

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I got my son and I some gold pans for xmas. I know he will want to practice right away xmas morning.

I see pay dirt or cons for sale on ebay but I am 99% sure its a scam.

I would like my son to get the experience of find some gold in a pan (and hey me too!). Are they any ebay sellars that are not going to scam us if we buy a pound or two?

Obviously I know we will get dramatically less gold (in value) then the money we buy the pay dirt for but some decent/good color would be awesome for him to experience.

My brother works with a company called prospectors plus out of sultan Washington . The have quart paint cans of dirt , he sent me 4 last year , I was surprised of the gold in them , very good practice dirt , I gave two cans to a member of a jeep club and his wife and girls had the best time with it , they got to keep it all ,

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never bought any but I was on youtube a while ago and theres one about the gold in home depot sand--I think there are a few if I recall correctly

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
About 15 yr.s ago, the family stopped in Keystone,CO. at a Tourist place to "Pan for Gold".
The kids bought a "salted" jar of stuff to pan and I went whole hog for a pan full of the pay dirt from their mine near Custer,CO. There was a little ditch/creek in back of their place,narrow enough to straddle it and deep enough to get your knee wet if ya slipped in. The water was cold as heck in Aug. I admire those who pan in the cold water,they earned it.
So I get my pan and start being ever so careful. After about 10 min.'s of about freezin my hands and my back about to give out, the Old Man owner (about 80), came over and took the pan away. In about 3 min.'s he'd worked the pan down and gave it back. I asked him if a man could "make wages" panning their gold. He said "I could, but I been doin this 60 yrs.".
The kids got 2 or 3 flakes of gold and a couple of little Garnet's. I got maybe 8 flakes and 6 Garnet's. Cost the kids 4 or 5 bucks a pop and my splurge cost 7 or 8. Cheap fun even then.
After reading this thread I kind of like the idea of salting your own dirt/sand. You know how much you start with. Not knocking the "Paydirt" operators, they got to make a livin too. Good luck and hope it's fun for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread