Gold, Silver or Platinum; Which one is better for investment?

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done very very well with silver over the years.
The trick is to buy it right, need to learn the current spot price daily at the moment you buy.
Avoid the newspaper adds and internet claim.
Look for deals on craigs list, flea markets, people desperate for money eager to dump collections
I found bullion, not coins were the best for returns.
Brady

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done very very well with silver over the years.
The trick is to buy it right, need to learn the current spot price daily at the moment you buy.
Avoid the newspaper adds and internet claim.
Look for deals on craigs list, flea markets, people desperate for money eager to dump collections
I found bullion, not coins were the best for returns.
Brady

I look at it as "Poor Mans Gold".

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That choice has a lot to do with timing. Right now, I'd say silver has the best potential for big gains. It's reaching its historical lows relative to gold. Platinum is more of a long range proposition, due to it's industrial use.
Jim

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also agree with Silver.
It is super cheap to get a LOT of and if you buy privately like suggested you can always win.

I keep hearing that Silver is suppose to take off, who knows if it actually will but I still feel that it is a safe investment.

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
+1 to what they say. Platinum is certainly a long term investment and it does not seem to fluctuate as much as gold.
Go with silver.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First time I recall Plat being below Gold.
Yes, platinum may be a huge gainer, but not until the world economy picks up. That probably won't be for several years. It's possible that if we get massive inflation, and there isn't enough gold and silver to go around, that platinum would get a bounce from that, too. One thing to keep in mind...this uptick in the metals probably won't last for long. If deflation seriously kicks-in, the metals will go down along with everything else. Right now, the metals are going up on the belief that the ECB will start printing money. But,as proven in the US, that doesn't mean the EU's economy is going to start rolling...far from it.
Jim

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That choice has a lot to do with timing. Right now, I'd say silver has the best potential for big gains. It's reaching its historical lows relative to gold. Platinum is more of a long range proposition, due to it's industrial use.
Jim

Silver also has an industrial use; gold some, but much less. I agree silver is likely the best right now and that Pt should do nicely longhaul. Don't forget palladium, often substituted for Pt (but not possible in some applications).

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have silver on the way up.
Have cash or gold on the way down.
Silver is overall 1.6 x the trading power of gold in dollar value. At turns it is double the power of gold in dollar value.
If planning to store your own, in dollar value silver takes 100x the space requirement.
If planning to move your own, as well as 100x the space, silver is (currently) 70x the weight for the same dollar value of gold. Long term average is about 30x in weight.
Don't read or listen to the news when deciding if the way is up or down, instead use a ten year trading range (lines connecting 10 year highs and lines connecting ten year lows) and look for prices to not hang around at the edges of your trading range for long. after they get there.
Platinum looks to be a reasonable gold substitute, therefore when Platinum is below gold it is "good value" and when it's above gold, gold is "good value" compared to platinum. But if there is a currency "event" then gold will outperform platinum while that event builds to crisis point.
Do your own due diligence and trust no information from anywhere when investing in precious metals, the misinformation is huge and looks very credible.
If you are an independent minded person be aware of a possible personal inner weakness for "loaded" advice from the alternative media who are anti state in general and contain a lot of precious metal dealers among their numbers, thus tending to be precious metal positive beyond a prudent neutral view.
Likewise be aware that "official" investment advisors are usually biased against investing in precious metals, possibly because you bank for yourself and therefore pay them no commissions on such an asset play. Investment advisors also never allow for inflation when describing their investment returns, often implying that an asset which showed eg 10% gain was good whilst inflation could have been 11% over the period and the gain was actually a "real" loss, inflation adjusted.
On the other hand, PM dealer backed "research" never stops mentioning inflation.
Just my experience, your mileage will probably differ.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions