Black sand / beach sand - panning technique critique?

Caribou369

Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im a newbie prospector eager to get started but biding my time until next summer season comes around. I collected some of the black sand rumored to bear very fine gold from the southernmost end of SF's Ocean Beach. Using a green pan and a rare earth magnet, I was able to separate the fine grayish blonde sand from the heavier black sand, but have not found any gold, even very fine gold, so far as I can tell. I noticed some success in separating a small amount of black sands from the lighter sand and have been washing it off to the side, then applying the magnet to get a relatively pure black sand. So far I have a bucket with a small amount of clearly lighter concentration of sands, and another container with extremely fine black sands, most of the latter obtained with the magnet.
although using a combination of quick vibration followed by a wavelet action seems to be good at separating the two types of sand in my pan, pouring off the lighter stuff alone is more difficult. I have not found even very small flecks of gold in what's left and am wondering, should I keep on doing what I'm doing? Re-run the non magnetic sand concentrates? Just process more volume, or what?
And...is it just me, or is panning beach sand really freakin' hard?:BangHead:

Advice appreciated :)

Heavy pans to ya

Upvote 0

javed

Jan 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

javed

Jan 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi this is exactly what i get from beach sand which i have tried to pan only sticky layers of black sand.. should i use any other method to classify the sands to extract gold

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Javed, great to hear from someone in India! From my research, I don't think you will find gold in the Mumbai beach sands. For gold you need to go down to Goa.

Hmm, any excuse to go on holiday in Goa right?

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought some photos of exactly how fine this sand is might give a better idea of what I'm working with.

View attachment 1117696
a partially classified pan with the lights separating out on the left.

View attachment 1117697
The same dime with individual grains of sand visible. The larger spots on lady liberty's neck are clusters of 4-7 tiny grains.

All of it is this size...I think I will be investing in a 100 mesh classifier soon.

100 mesh screens AND a miller table.......:laughing7:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shake, wash, shake, wash repeat. never poor. panning is slow but the better you get at this small stuff the easier it'll become. and then you'll find other areas were it's super easy because your used to panning hard stuff.
become the best panner you can. cause when it comes down to it it's the one tool you will always use. and th e better you are at it the more you'll be able to do. and listen to these guys is seriously one of the best thing you could do. there very knowledgeable. I've only been doing for a little over a year. and honestly I've learned tons from these guys. but this isn't something you can be told either you have to do it to understand what and why they tell you what they tell you. happy hunting and I hope you have fun and enjoy it

O you might be able to wash the blacksand to with vinager and some other things. just let them sit in it for a week. I've found a little extra gold doing this

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions