Prospecting A to Z answers. what to look for, where to look, how to do.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in starting this thread Im hoping to get general information for those who are new to the gold fever. and prospecting to come and questions of how and where to find gold to the more advanced questions and have access to all the experienced prospectors and there years of wisdom in the field.
I'm hoping all the people who have experience will post the answers to common questions like where do I look for gold in the river. or dry river bed.
th advice I was givin was look anywhere were the current slows down or would be caused to slow or make an eddy. behind rock and such. on the inside of the turn where the river starts to make the turn, sand bars and other places of this nature.

what to look for like quarts and magnitite, black sand and other basic rocks and sand that will tell you if there's gold in the general area. wet and dry
stuff of this nature

anything that will help new people who haven't been doing this for a long time. including panning wet or dry tec, and so on. I know there's tons of information and such on the web. but been my experience that being able to talk with people and get answers to spacific questions is a must.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it it's a huge success. I'll place 1 to
FA. Family, family and friends. having someone with you like your wife and kids or a friend. just to bond and have thar 1 Goal that everyone understands and is working towards. makes the hole experience so much more exciting and fun. But don't forget about yourelf if you want to get out there go. sometimes it's best to just get out by yourself and at the end of the day you have the experience, and self accomplishment. and it's always nice to get away sometimes

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A - always start where gold has been found before
B - bazooka ...get more gold with less work and gear
C - classifying is for chumps, finish processing and when you need to carry paydirt a long way
D - don't listen to the naysayers...there's still good gold out there waiting for you!
E - exam the historical record carefully, most don't bother but there are good clues
F - follow the advice of those with more experience
G - gold! Duh.
H -
Hmm, I'm stuck on H. Can I get some help here?

Sorry Kevin but, I feel like G should me for Geology

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skiddum, I'm so happy you like where this has gone as a thread...this was fun!

Please do add any specific questions you still have after reading this and other stuff on tnet.

Goldwasher, I'm with you. Lots of other good ideas like F is for family/ friends or C is for clubs, join a local club!

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EQ, EQUIPMENT, Having the proper equipment for what your doing. if your in a area with lots of nuggets get a system that will catch them. if your in an area that has supper fine then maybe a centrafuge or vortex system is what you need.

U Understanding the gold In your area. if you know what your likely to run into in the area your prospecting and mining wI'll save you time and aggravation not to mention money trying to figure it out on the river. now if your smart you go straight after a Bazooka or centrafuge system. after testing one out called the 2 bucket vortex I found stuff I missed with my Keene A51a

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re read the OP now that we've been A to Z. Here's a tip I call the "rope line" . Imagine a rope pulled along the bottom during a 100 year storm. The gold will stop at traps along these lines.

Remember the gold and boulders were moving along with everything else. Pay attention where you find pay streaks. You may be in one of these lines.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H for highbanker. always check the banks of the river. I've found that if the bank is rich thengenerally speaking the river around there will be as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions