Prospecting A to Z answers. what to look for, where to look, how to do.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in starting this thread Im hoping to get general information for those who are new to the gold fever. and prospecting to come and questions of how and where to find gold to the more advanced questions and have access to all the experienced prospectors and there years of wisdom in the field.
I'm hoping all the people who have experience will post the answers to common questions like where do I look for gold in the river. or dry river bed.
th advice I was givin was look anywhere were the current slows down or would be caused to slow or make an eddy. behind rock and such. on the inside of the turn where the river starts to make the turn, sand bars and other places of this nature.

what to look for like quarts and magnitite, black sand and other basic rocks and sand that will tell you if there's gold in the general area. wet and dry
stuff of this nature

anything that will help new people who haven't been doing this for a long time. including panning wet or dry tec, and so on. I know there's tons of information and such on the web. but been my experience that being able to talk with people and get answers to spacific questions is a must.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the answers a newby would need are contained in all the gold based forums under the gold prospecting header on TNET. It takes some searching and studying, asking of questions which are freely answered and lots of practice and then some more searching, studying, questioning and practicing. That said I will start with the letter B. If you are going to buy a sluice buy a Bazooka. Good luck to all in their quest.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For a start, research for areas of known gold occurrence either placers or hard rock and try these areas first. Blind searches away from them will probably not be productive. Placer explorations should include looking for river run rock away from the current drainage. Look for rusty layers of material in cut banks and sample them and other areas too. These three will get you started and you mentioned a few others about inside bends, etc. Test panning will tell the tale. Good luck.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Mojo said... It's pretty much all here already and only requires a little bit of research to find it. Starting yet another thread that rehashes what's already been posted only takes up more server space. If new members will only take a little time to learn how to use the search function here, they can find everything they need.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Mojo, B is Bedrock. As much as I like my Bazooka no one should feel they need any certain equipment besides a pan.

Gold will work its way down and into bedrock. Look for crevices running at a right angle to the flow.

Oh by the way if you have the right conditions for it, get a Bazooka.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A - always start where gold has been found before
B - bazooka ...get more gold with less work and gear
C - classifying is for chumps, finish processing and when you need to carry paydirt a long way
D - don't listen to the naysayers...there's still good gold out there waiting for you!
E - exam the historical record carefully, most don't bother but there are good clues
F - follow the advice of those with more experience
G - gold! Duh.
H -
Hmm, I'm stuck on H. Can I get some help here?

Last edited:

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A - always start where gold has been found before
B - bazooka ...get more gold with less work and gear
C - classifying is for chumps, finish processing and when you need to carry paydirt a long way
D - don't listen to the naysayers...there's still good gold out there waiting for you!
E - exam the historical record carefully, most don't bother but there are good clues
F - follow the advice of those with more experience
G - gold! Duh.
H -
Hmm, I'm stuck on H. Can I get some help here?

H- Have fun!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I - investigate land status before visiting/digging...also Inside bends (of waterways) are often where you'll find the gold, learn about how gold moves during storms,etc
J - just do it! Get out there with your pan and sample, hike, sample, hike
K - keep the faith...if you do your research and your sampling you will eventually find a honey hole!
L - Land Matters: mylandmatters.org is a key research tool, use it, support it!
M - Miner, that's what you are. Never say recreational. After all, if you found a deposit that produced $1000/ hour worked, I'm betting you'd rearrange life and go at it right? This means you are casual or part time or maybe "still learning" but never "recreational"!
N - No Trace...pick up any trash as you encounter it and leave your work site attractive looking (as practical for work in process) to maximize the enjoyment of other land users.
O ...
Hmm, anyone?

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O- Organize your activities so that even if your not on the mother load you can still have H. :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P Patience in panning that tiny gold. You will need it or lose gold. Or maybe your mind?

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R- Recovery, know, practice and discover every way to recover your treasure, gold or otherwise, lest it slip away or be damaged.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
S - sample, sample, sample. Get out in the field and search. Get out away from the crowds and sample overlooked areas.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
T- TreasureNet most all your questions will be answered here. Best prospecting site on the net.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
V - Vigor. Pursue gold and all your other passions with it!

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W- work! Dont be afraid to work, if it was easy we would all be rich. Plan your work then work your plan.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
W- Water action. Placer gold is deposited by water action at some point.

Always keep that in mind when reading a stream or other deposit. Imagine the water flowing at its highest rate. How would the obstructions act in a 100 year flood when the water is above your head?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X- X marks the spot when you've applied the alphabet and have found that golden opportunity on your prospect, rolled up your sleeves and gotten what you went there for. (hard to find a word for X as its almost a word itself, hehh) :)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Y- Why? It's about Liberty. Yellow metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread