Panning in N. Lower Michigan

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
I live in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. I used to pan out in the Black Hills. Is there anyone here that has panned my area with any success? I have done some research, and read that there is gold in several rivers/streams around my area. I would like to give it a shot once again and see, but if I'm not stepping out of bounds could you provide me with some info.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Colorado but my parents live near Cheboygan so I'm interested in this too. I've heard there's gold near Onaway so you might try over that way.

OP
OP
hoser

hoser

Jan 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AtPro
Haven't heard that before but it sure is worth checking out for sure. Thanks for the reply.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You also know about the gold bearing black sands on the shores of Lake Superior right?

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin that's where Mike Pung goes with his Gold Cube. he has videos of it on the Black sand beachs there.

Russau, I watched a few videos on youtube about the black sands of Lake Superior. Cool stuff

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is gonna be my first year looking for gold in rivers/streams and I am in southern Michigan, but I will let ya know if I find anything. I am going to sample some areas in Washtenaw county and move west to Grand Rapids area then further to the Athens area. I have heard good things about all 3 areas. I have also heard that in the northern LP that Manistee's and the surrounding area rivers are known to produce some gold, and in the middle of the LP in Ionia. In Athens MI there is even a lost dutchman minimg association member campground.

panman1963

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is in rivers near Grand Rapids ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428534300.018724.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428534341.372274.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428534385.243114.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428534428.873481.jpg

It is small stuff but it is there!!! Also found silver and copper

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Driving From I 75 through the rose city area on my way to alpena a few times I remember seeing some nice streams in the area of all those big hills. Most of those hills are glacial moraine and I remember seeing a lot of glacial stones in the streams. I never got a chance to stop and try panning there but every time I went through there I was thinking man I have got to come over here and try it. I may never get back up that way again , so I dont mind passing on the info. If anybody is close enough to scout that area and try it be sure to show us any gold you found. I know there has to be some there somewhere. If by chance nobody has though to prospect some of those streams there could be quite a bit there.

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video was shot on the Rogue River near Grand Rapids.. Some nice Nuggets.. I am gonna go check it out soon :)

panman1963

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way Michigan laws are you can't pan anywhere even though it says you can pan year round and only use a sluice in July & Aug with a 50.00 permit ??? I just go anyways and don't dig up any banks no digging utensils just scrape up a little off the river bed with hands and an old pan that is where the good stuff is any ways, but the done are ignorant about the laws (how many people do they come across with a pan in there hands at the river)

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought Michigan sands were the reason Mike Pung developed the cube for the fine gold along the lake, UP Michigan does have gold and would like to go back there someday.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought Michigan sands were the reason Mike Pung developed the cube for the fine gold along the lake, UP Michigan does have gold and would like to go back there someday.

You are correct sir! Although the rest of the story is that he was looking for something to use with Lake Superior beach sand and met Red Wilcox who was experimenting with what they dubbed "vortex mat"...the rest is history!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike and Red are two real nice guys ! if you get a chance to talk with them youll be happy you did!

...and I'm lucky to call Red a good friend! (Mike's great too but we don't know each other as well :) )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread