First time panning tomorrow or this weekend

jonathan_174

Greenie
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my garret gold panning kit and I'm really excited to use it ! I'm going to the rio grande ( it's the only lake that is close and it's still far from me ) and I'm sure there isn't much gold in it but anything would be great . Do you have any tips for my first time ? I've been practicing a lot with just regular dirt and I really have the hang of it .

Upvote 0

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Where are you at? I wouldn't drive too far to the Rio Grande to pan gold. You'll spend more money in gas than you could ever get back.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you try in the upper Rio Grande area around and above Taos, New Mexico or better yet closer to the Rio Grande's source in south central Colorado you may find color. It is extremely doubtful you will find any at all in the river much further south than the Taos area.

Have fun anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonathan_174

Greenie
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to go to Colorado , but I'm only 14 so transportation is difficult and I live in Albuquerque . Probably the worst place to try and find gold lol

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to go to Colorado , but I'm only 14 so transportation is difficult and I live in Albuquerque . Probably the worst place to try and find gold lol

I think you would be surprised where you can find gold in New Mexico. I've found gold in my driveway, and I've found gold in the pile of dirt left over after they installed my
septic tank.

Personally, I'd skip the river and pull some dirt(sand) out of some washes or drainage ditches. Just for fun, I'd also try sweeping up some of the stuff on the side of the road
that has washed down from the hills.

You may not have a ton of gold in ABQ, but I can guarantee you have some.. There are gold producing areas around there.

There is a prospecting club in ABQ, I know nothing about them, except I've run across their web site a few times.
First and Oldest Recreational Prospecting Club - Gold Prospectors Association of New Mexico

It might be worth your while to contact them, they do have meetings every month, and I'm quite sure some old timers would gladly offer
a ride to a 14 year old kid that is willing to shovel... I know I would. (with your parents knowledge of course), I wish I had my 14 year old energy and
stamina back.

Remember, gold is where you find it.. I've found it in places that its not supposed to be. Granted not a lot, but it only takes a little bit of shiny stuff to make me happy.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jonathan_174

Greenie
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow . That gives me hope ! I'm going to go to the river either way , we're in the process of moving and it would be really nice to get out of the house for a while . I do live walking distance to the Mesa by the volcanos , I'm not sure if there would be anything good out there , but thanks for the reply . Happy hunting .

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you would be surprised where you can find gold in New Mexico. I've found gold in my driveway, and I've found gold in the pile of dirt left over after they installed my
septic tank.

Personally, I'd skip the river and pull some dirt(sand) out of some washes or drainage ditches. Just for fun, I'd also try sweeping up some of the stuff on the side of the road
that has washed down from the hills.

You may not have a ton of gold in ABQ, but I can guarantee you have some.. There are gold producing areas around there.

There is a prospecting club in ABQ, I know nothing about them, except I've run across their web site a few times.
First and Oldest Recreational Prospecting Club - Gold Prospectors Association of New Mexico

It might be worth your while to contact them, they do have meetings every month, and I'm quite sure some old timers would gladly offer
a ride to a 14 year old kid that is willing to shovel... I know I would. (with your parents knowledge of course), I wish I had my 14 year old energy and
stamina back.

Remember, gold is where you find it.. I've found it in places that its not supposed to be. Granted not a lot, but it only takes a little bit of shiny stuff to make me happy.

Good luck.

I especially like the suggestion for the local club and the other suggestions are great too just for fun and maybe discovery. First or any experience with a club equals a high likelihood of success. Can't beat that. For day trips they probably work the placer area between Alb. and Santa Fe or maybe somewhere else along the east slope of the Sandia's. There are many other placers that probably require overnights.
Good luck!

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think your time would be better spent practicing panning. Get some lead fishing weights, cut them down as small as you can with a pair of wire cutters, add them to some sand and gravel from the back yard and practice panning over and over. Then when you can pan them down, start researching areas to hunt. Remember, you don't need a gold pan per se to pan with. You can even pan with a frisbee.

OP
OP
J

jonathan_174

Greenie
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a lot of practice, I bought the garret gold panning kit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions