vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Here are a few threads you might find interesting...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Water, a few drops of Simple Green, a handful or two of sand/gravel and
hand rub the crap out of the entire inside of the pan.

Ready to use. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always just used the green scrubbing thing from the kitchen sink and soap. works great you'll be scrubbing forever but it works good

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I take a new pan to the river and fill it full of sandy gravel and water. I then swirl it around until my ADHD kicks in, get my snuffer out, collect any gold and continue the process until time to go home.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked up a few extra/back-up pans this past weekend and I need to do the same thing. First of all, I'm glad you chose Garrett because they're the only company that knows how to make a good gold pan in my opinion. I always bring a Garrett Gravity Trap and a Garrett Super Sluice with me when I go panning, I usually use the Super Sluice as a secondary "safety pan" to pan my concentrates into so that I can save them to re-check later on. Anyway, the last time I "broke in" a pan I put some Dawn dish soap in it, used a very small amount of hot water from the faucet, and took one of those green/yellow everyday household sponges and scrubbed the heck out of the whole inside of the pan with the green (more abrasive) side of the sponge. After giving the pan a quick and hot rinse, I put a little more Dawn dish soap in the pan and boiled a pot of water and let it sit in the pan for five to ten minutes. I noticed the surface of the pan was noticeably less oily/glossy looking after doing that. When they mold plastics they use certain chemical compounds to keep the plastic product separate from the mold that it was formed in, that's why new pans always seem kind of oily. Oils in your gold pan, including oils from your skin, can cause fine gold particles to float on top of the water in your pan. People that say gold can't float don't know what they're talking about. It's kind of important, I believe, to scrub your pan out with some hot water and dish soap occasionally if you're worried about losing any fine gold.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
I just put a handfull of wet sand in a new pan and rub it around the bottom and sides really good , rinse it out and repeat a couple more times. That takes care of the majority of it , normal use takes care of the rest.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like rough gravel and dish soap but any and all of the above mentioned methods work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions