Where do you sell gold?

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all!

Okay so let's say you go panning for a while and you finally round up an ounce (or more) of clean, beautiful gold!

Now you want to sell it. But where?

Coin shops? Jewelry stores? "We buy gold" stores in mini malls? Online?

I would think it depends on your location, for instance in Alaska it might be more common for "gold buyers" to set up shop....

but what about other places? Where would you sell gold flakes, pickers, and nuggets in Los Angeles? Seattle? Dallas?

Thanks!

Tim

Upvote 0

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some I sell at craft fairs and rock shows and on Ebay. I have a restaurant owner and a local drug dealer that pay 10 over spot in cash for all I will sell them. (LOL! hedging against inflation they are) Some I trade to a coin dealer. He cleans my clock but I trade with him anyway. He allows me spot and charges me 10 over against junk silver coins. Before you laugh too much, I once walked into a gun dealers store (when silver was peaked) and offered him $20 in cash for a Glock 10mm. He looked at me like I was nuts until I laid 20 Morgan dollars on the counter. He never said a word, just handed me the paperwork to fill out :)

The Platinum below 70 mesh I send to a refiner. The bigger placer Platinum sells like hookers on a troop train! I get 20 over on that :)

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toss a scoop of dirt out of your driveway or your wife's flower box into the gold and sell it for 2-3X spot on e-bay.

I think pay dirt can be fun, it is fun... But its amazing how completely useless, valueless dirt can double or triple the price of gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some I sell at craft fairs and rock shows and on Ebay. I have a restaurant owner and a local drug dealer that pay 10 over spot in cash for all I will sell them. (LOL! hedging against inflation they are) Some I trade to a coin dealer. He cleans my clock but I trade with him anyway. He allows me spot and charges me 10 over against junk silver coins. Before you laugh too much, I once walked into a gun dealers store (when silver was peaked) and offered him $20 in cash for a Glock 10mm. He looked at me like I was nuts until I laid 20 Morgan dollars on the counter. He never said a word, just handed me the paperwork to fill out :)

The Platinum below 70 mesh I send to a refiner. The bigger placer Platinum sells like hookers on a troop train! I get 20 over on that :)

Mitch, I'm curious what part of the country produces enough platinum to be interesting? Someday I'd love to see some in my pan :)

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a restaurant owner and a local drug dealer that pay 10 over spot in cash for all I will sell them. (LOL! hedging against inflation they are)

They aren't hedging, they are laundering... The gold/money didn't come from a bag of cocaine, or 3 nights straight of "no sales" on the register at the restaurant.

"the gold and the money I made from the gold, came out of the ground your honor"...

Make sure you protect yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread