One hour..one speck

guitarguy62

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to spend the last hour of daylight doing a little panning..I was showing my uncle how it worked and happened across my first color In something other than a bag of practice pay dirt!
e928dfe060ae353d96c12490cb09a7fd.jpg

I'm not sure if it's gold or pyrite because it's soooo small, but at least I know I'm doing it right haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Now keep that up and after you have accumulated couple hundred thousand of those specks you "Might" have an ounce.......:laughing7:
But hey.... Hang in there..........

One more thing .... you need to season up that pan... It's still pretty hydrophobic... That remaining water should be a film and not droplets.....
How do you season a pan?..... Run LOTS of course material through it... get that shiny new surface all nice and scratched up..:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see anything but maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be :dontknow:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's right there, bigger than... Well maybe not that big. It must've acted like gold or you wouldn't have posted. Right? Congrats.

OP
OP
G

guitarguy62

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think "speck" is an exaggeration! [emoji23] that dude is tiny!!! But with where I live I'm afraid that's all I'm gonna find. Maybe after I get my pan broke in ill surprise myself [emoji23]

OP
OP
G

guitarguy62

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one high up on a river bank that had been washed out..this is the area, and it was on the far side
540e5ef74d0e988ba419c454d482d217.jpg

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't quit your day job.........:laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good on ya....:occasion14:

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is small but it does look like gold. As they have all ready said season your pan. Use some rough gravel soap and hot water and rough it up it will help your fine gold recovery a lot. Also classify your material, move around dig in different spots try to find bed rock or a good clay layer. Don't give up.

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I recommend picking up a magnifier / loupe. I have a 20x loupe and a 60x "currency magnifier". The currency magnifier is faily inexpensive, and also somewhat cheaply made. It is very handy though.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I recommend picking up a magnifier / loupe. I have a 20x loupe and a 60x "currency magnifier". The currency magnifier is faily inexpensive, and also somewhat cheaply made. It is very handy though.

Those currency microscopes are awesome!!!! I bought 3 at a prospecting shop while away over X-mas... Then I bought 3 more on e-bay for my Dad, then I bought another dozen
for myself... They are cheap. $6 or so dollars each shipped from a domestic source, a bit over $2 if you want to wait for them to come from China. All your friends will
want one. I've given away a bunch, and I always have one in my pocket now to check out every rock I may come across. They do fall apart fairly easy though....

Magnification will make a small piece of gold look like a big fat nugget, and a barely visible piece of gold look like a picker and a non-visible piece of gold look like a flake...
If there is a question with your eye, at 60X there is no question, and then there is the bonus of the 6 non-visible pieces sitting next to it.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not seeing anything that resembles "gold bearing" in the gravel on that creek. You need to see rocks that are red, green, black and heavy. Also lots of dirty quartz. Perhaps a trip to a known gold bearing creek might help a bunch.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about the gold Mitch. WHAT ABOUT The GOLD!? It's right there. :P

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not seeing anything that resembles "gold bearing" in the gravel on that creek. You need to see rocks that are red, green, black and heavy. Also lots of dirty quartz. Perhaps a trip to a known gold bearing creek might help a bunch.

The gold that im finding in my journal thread does not have a whole of the mentioned rocks in the creek. Lots of quartz but mostly just white. Then again, im in Georgia.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks like gold to me if you found a little keep lookin you never know what's around he next bend good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions