Having fun!

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all! Going out this weekend up Tujunga way (So Cal) to do my first real search for color!

I have to say reading these posts and practicing my panning in the backyard has been very helpful and lot of fun!

It's sort of... zen like. Hearing the water slosh around... the patience required... the hope of what might be in that pan... the tradition
of the whole thing...

Looking forward to this weekend.

Thanks for all the helpful posts and advice!

Tim

Upvote 0

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new hobby. You never know where it will bring you, who you will meet because of it, or what you will find along the way (nuggets, artifacts, a new favorite camping spot, etc.) TNet is a wealth of information, but don't forget about new and old books, clubs/organizations, and the little hole-in-the-wall mining places you might come across while driving around (not to be confused with tourist traps); all of these things can better your experience and knowledge in the realm of prospecting. Good luck and hope you're able to get some good gold this weekend. If you get skunked, take a break for a few days and don't let it get to you; it is the necessary evil of true prospecting - the gold is out there, but you will have to find your way to it.

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds great and I hope you find some yeller stuff and have fun! Don't forget to let us know how you did and pictures are always nice too...!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Tim, you'll be in my backyard. Maybe we'll run into each other. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I didn't get out over the weekend... BUT... I did get out there after work today!

Went up Little Tujunga Canyon Road into the Angeles National Forest. Pulled over and took some dirt from a dry wash. Drive a bit further up to Gold Creek Road!
Great name for a road! I pulled into a picnic area off Gold Creek Road which had a creek behind it. The creek was dry except for a few tiny puddles of water.
Took a few more dirt samples from the creek bed.

I got home and panned some of the dirt, but no color. Which is fine, I didn't expect any. I just wanted to get a lay of the land.

Firs time up into this area so it was a bit of an adventure!

Thanks.

Tim

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Careful over there(I believe you were at) Oak Springs. Lots of poison ivy. And it's best to leave before dark when the weirdos come out.

BigT wash has water still running. You can get a bit of color there. The upper cyn has some flow too. Plenty for panning.

OP
OP
N

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep that was it, Oak Springs!

Poison ivy? No wonder I itch all over! ha!

So the areas you mentioned are further up?

Btw I have a 1/2 inch classifier and a 100 mesh. Sort of too big and too small. What are the "standard" sizes? 1/4 and 1/8?

Thanks.

Tim

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For Big Tujunga creek is off Foothill bl in Sunland. PM me and I can give Dir/map. Planning to go Saturday (17th) with some friends if you're interested.

As for classifiers Yea something between those would be good. The 1/2" will work for normal panning. 1/4 and 1/8 hardware cloth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions