The Art of Gold Panning.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've reprocessed some of Kevin's cons, and believe me, there is
so little (if any) gold remaining that it's just not worth the effort.

Whatever process he uses certainly gets the job done..:occasion14:

I use a $2 black gold pan...well only after classifying then separating the magnetics sorta like GoldenIrishman does. That is all :)

By classifying BEFORE magnetic work, the small gold doesn't get lifted up thru the water by larger magnetic particles so there's less chance of gold escaping into the magnetics pan.

Writing this is getting me jones-ing for some cons. I think I'll go digging tomorrow :-)

Heavy pans y'all!

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah! I don't toss the magnetics. I clean them one more time after they've dried and I STILL get more non magnetic stuff out of them. I've checked the -100 mesh under the microscope and have found a tad bit more in it. One of these days I'm going to have to break down and go through all of the magnetic sands I've got. Classify them all, crush as needed and get everything cleaned out.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a $2 black gold pan...well, after classifying then separating the magnetics sorta like GoldenIrishman does. That is all :)

By classifying BEFORE magnetic work, the small gold doesn't get lifted up thru the water by larger magnetic particles so there's less chance of gold escaping into the magnetics pan.

Writing this is getting jones-ing for some cons. I think I'll go digging tomorrow :-)

Heavy pans y'all!

:laughing7:... I know what ya mean.... we have been having some pretty stormy weather here the last couple days with higher tides which have been added to by the storm winds and surge. ...... SO I am giving some heavy thought to going up to my beach tomorrow and check things out.... conditions are still going to be wet but thats why we have rain gear ...... :laughing7:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
:laughing7:... I know what ya mean.... we have been having some pretty stormy weather here the last couple days with higher tides which have been been added to by the storm winds and surge. ...... SO I am giving some heavy thought to going up to my beach tomorrow and check things out.... conditions are still going to be wet but thats why we have rain gear ...... :laughing7:

Right! No such thing as bad weather, only poorly dressed prospectors!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Right! No such thing as bad weather, only poorly dressed prospectors!

Now why do I have thoughts of "Mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noon day sun" running through my head? Other than a total freeze up in winter or 110+ temps I can agree with ya Kev. If the ground is frozen it makes for hard digging and in the summer you can only take so much off and not get arrested! Anything else is pretty much fair game.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With an N52 Neodymium magnet some of the "A" grade material might even "stick" if brought within light contact..... maybe?....:icon_scratch:

With an N52 "A" grade material would be a lethal weapon!

I think you meant C grade. I already collect with N42's.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With an N52 "A" grade material would be a lethal weapon!

I think you meant C grade. I already collect with N42's.

You are correct..... thank's for catching that for me.
Correction made in my post as well......:thumbsup:

VE5MDH

Dec 24, 2015
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
- Ace 250
- Chinese Handheld Unit (eBay)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem with the magnet method is your material has to be dry..... Really dry.

Here is another good video from Doc....

JohneDoe, I don't know but for some darn reason I never seen this video before! Did I skip over it somehow? No idea. Thanks for sharing it, and bringing it to my attention! I'll be sure to review this whole video once again, once I am able to see colours in my Gold Cube (which, BTW is in transit between here and Toronto! There is light at the end of the tunnel!). Alberta I can smell the campfires burning now! (Of course if the Fire Bans are lifted).

Reminds me of how I taught Advanced Aeronautical Theory to our Students (Privates) in the Air Force (ATAT). Boring, but with a point behind it.

Michael

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions