Garnets? Or...

Nuggetbrain

Mar 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all!

As I attempt to educate myself on the noble pursuit of gold, I read about miners finding other items in their dirt, such as garnets.

Not being a rockhound, is there any advice or links you folks could give me about how to identify a garnet? Or any other semi precious stone
one may come across.

Many thanks!

Tim

Upvote 0

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tim,

Garnets come in all different colors. I think the most common is dark red to dark reddish purple. I have found orange garnet as well as yellow. To me they look like little glass beads- they definitely have a vitreous surface, when crushed they also fracture somewhat like glass. Garnet is quite heavy and is usually the last thing to wash out of your pan before the black sands. Also when you find garnet you usually find lots of it. It often will clog up sluices to the point where you have to do frequent clean outs. It comes in all sizes but is rarely gem quality.

Garnet is readily visible when you are walking down a stream. You can see flows of it on the stream bottom where the current slackens. A lot of prospectors use it as an indicator for where colors may lie buried underneath the garnet.

Personally I don't have much luck finding colors where garnet exists, at least not the common reddish variety.

Best Colors,
David

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure where your located but up here in maine there is one creek that I do that my sluice runs red and will find stones with nail head sized junks of garnet imbedded in it also dig around big boulders just off the banks or inside bends look for hard pack less sand area's because the heft of gold that's where it will drop out first

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garnet and gold do travel together in the South Platte river through metro Denver. Garnet (like most gem stones) is more dense than typical sands and gravels so you'll see it in the heavy material you work your pan of paydirt down to. In the S. Platte the garnets are dark pink to red wine to almost black in color. Sadly never big enough to be worth anything but pretty all together in a pan :)

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A field guide to gems and minerals will help. Also get yourself one of those little $5 UV flashlights off Ebay. It will florese most all gem stones and light them up in a dark place. I usually just cup my hand around them. Around here diamonds, rubys, emeralds, saphire, smokey, citrine, and others may show up in your pan. Don't happen very often, but it does happen.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in my part of the world green tourmaline is found quite often and if your really lucky to find is the watermelon tourmaline the right specimen there will make it worth your while!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a lot of garnet in the Lake Michigan beach sands, but most is the salt n pepper type used in sandpaper (tan, brown, black). It's a real PITA to get good clean black sand, as it's so close to the hemitite and magnetite in weight. A local trout stream has pinks, reds, and black in full crystals up to around 2mm in size.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A field guide to gems and minerals will help. Also get yourself one of those little $5 UV flashlights off Ebay. It will florese most all gem stones and light them up in a dark place. I usually just cup my hand around them. Around here diamonds, rubys, emeralds, saphire, smokey, citrine, and others may show up in your pan. Don't happen very often, but it does happen.
Garnets don't respond to UV, except for a few rare grossulars in Canada, and overseas. UV won't help here in the US.
Jim

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a creek I prospect were u get dozens of them in every pan sadly not much gold though

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436767111.536682.jpg Here is a gumball sized piece found here in SoCal. Looks like a ribeye.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When looking for gem Quality Garnets you want to first look for Schist that looks like a chocolate chip cookie.
If you carefully break the rock down, you can get nice gemy Garnets.
This was my very first discovery when I started prospecting.
Good luck! Happy Hunting!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what my tailings from Lake Superior cons are like. Lots of pinks through browns. You'll see pinkish material over the black sands on the beach.

IMG_2836.JPG

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place I worked this summer had sooo many garnets my sluice and my tailings for about 10' were solid red! To bad they were the size of BB's.

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the areas I work in WA are so garnet dense that my old traditional Jobe sluice would turn purple behind the riffles. I used to pick out the bigger ones while I pan but there were so many it got old. I do have a few 3-4ct ones.

There is a creek a couple hours north of me that has produced some monsters. A girl I work with pulled a 30ct one out of there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bronze, I would love to get some larger garnets for a jewelry project I have in mind...can you tell me which creek that was?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread