Panning in Georgia?

ekev22

May 2, 2015
Hello everyone, I am very new to this forum and panning. I was just curious if anyone had any tips for panning in Georgia? I'm looking for ideas of locations I can go, etc. Any help would be appreciated. I'm about 45 minutes outside of Atlanta (east) and would like to take my family on a road trip to explore and play. Yesterday we went up to Auraria to explore and it was fun... didn't find much but still very fun. I have a couple friends from Canada coming down next month and would love to find a place I can take them. Ideally we'd camp somewhere, do some hiking and a little panning.

Thanks for the help (and sorry for such a nub question).

Upvote 0

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and best of luck

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
You have to do some research , lots of places in the gold areas of Georgia are private property or leased by gold prospecting clubs like the GPAA and others. If you really want to get into gold panning its worth paying the yearly membership fee to have access to the better spots and sometimes the camping opportunities alone on " some " of these properties can be worth the fee. But from what I have heard there are a few places on public land where you can try your luck , some internet searches will usually help you locate them. That being said , ...gold is where you find it , so it can be worth trying other places not known for gold , as long as you are not trespassing. Be careful not to trespass on private or gold club property though , they do not tolerate people being there that arent supposed to be. I found this out one year in the Dahlonega Ga. area , I was just walking along the river looking around and walked up on some people gold prospecting. They were nice enough and after I explained I didnt know I was on club property they talked to me a bit about the club and prospecting in general but warned me that it was private property and normally should expect some trouble if I am there but not a member. I wish I lived in that area since Ive learned a lot over the years panning for gold in Ohio and would like to be in better gold country , but I moved away from Georgia about 10 years ago and dont expect I will be back any time soon.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look up Lake Altoona...I hear good things. No personal experience sorry.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Look up georgia gold panning on youtube as well. Rarely will anybody give up specific spots but you can get a lot of general information on where to start looking. Sometimes you get lucky and can identify the local area by landmarks or they just come out and say it.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ekev22, You don't have to go anywhere! You are in the center of the gold belts. All creeks around you will have gold! Just that some will have more than others. I have panned gold from creeks and streams in downtown Atlanta. Odds are, the closest creek to your house has color. Even the soil in your garden may have color! The word Delonega is a corruption for Tay-lon-e-kah which means "land of the yellow metal". You are already in the middle of the land of the yellow metal :)

nuggethunter

Sep 20, 2012
Temple, Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do most of my panning around lake allatoona most of the creeks have good gold mainly check around acworth Kennworth park on old hwy 41 just south of downtown acworth go inside the park all the way to the back walk between the ball fields down to the creek it is corp property so it's shovel and pan only. You can also go to owl creek which is up kellogg creek rd that is corp property also but it has good gold. Most of the creeks in that area is good and is free if it's on corp property you just have to watch for private property. Good Luck and Good prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions