PVC cap size information needed, please

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to use 3" PVC pipe to make a tumbler for the rod mill for gold. The barrel for the rock tumbler I am using has outside diameter of 4 and 3/8" The rollers are 3 and 5/8" apart. So if I use 3" PVC pipe, the outside diameter is 3.500 inches. When I cap both ends, anyone know what the OUTSIDE diameter of a 3" PVC cap is?

Also, other than sliding the cap on over Teflon tape, anyone got a good idea of how to keep it from leaking. Only one end can be glued on, so I am looking for a neat way to seal the other end. TIA.

The thread that talks about this is http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/panning-gold/456622-simple-solution-fine-gold-recovery-9.html

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glue FA's (female adapters) on both ends and use plugs. Easily taken off with a wrench and if one end gets bound up you've got the other. You could do the same with MA's but the caps get chewed up because you have to use pliers instead of a wrench

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
!!!! You guys are using PVC for this!?! I didn't think it would work/hold up to the impact/rolling of the steel rods!? I just started reading through the other thread again.. I kind of let it go on the back burner as I don't know how to weld at the moment >.< This makes it a game changer! Thanks for posting, despite me not having an idea off the top of my head :/

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PVC is pretty durable for this and soooo cheap to replace when worn that I think it's a great solution. Wish I thought of it first!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
to keep it from leaking just cut up a party balloon, stretch over the opening and cap it.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldpanner... Mike... You guys just gave me a freaking idea for a new project. Thanks a lot. 3".. maybe even 4-5" with those rubber plugs? I like it.
I have a local irrigation supply that deal with all diameters of piping in different materials and fittings :D

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Dave , the PVC pipe schedule 40 has a 1/4 inch wall so add 1/2 inch to the measurement and the cap also has a 1/4 inch wall so add another 1/2 inch to the total diameter. and the reply about using the expandable sewer plug is right on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread