decent money with garnets?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi colored garnets look great in the glass pendants and throw in a few flakes for razzle and the wow factor rises and sales are ez to do. Many sellers and ez to do-John

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cut, relatively clear garnets sell for about $5 a carat retail. Wholesale about $1.50 a carat.

If you have a rare garnet like a good sized Tsarovite you could get more. Very unlikely that you will find one of any size - they really are rare.

Garnets are very common worldwide. The cost of the cut "gem" is more about the cost to cut it than about the value of the rough stone. If you can cut garnets yourself and you have a ready supply of quality garnet rough you could get prices like this. I seriously doubt you could pay for materials much less labor at those prices.

John had the best idea to get value for garnets. :thumbsup: Sell them as part of the natural gems you found with the gold you are selling.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If Garnets were worth anything I'd retire from mining with what I've found already! I've got tons of them. I've got an art project in mind for them and that's the only reason I've saved what I've got.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a place near Bishop California you can find then the size of ping pong balls........broke in half..........but every once in a while a round beauty. .....or multiple in matrix......most valuable way to sell those ones

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cut, relatively clear garnets sell for about $5 a carat retail. Wholesale about $1.50 a carat.

If you have a rare garnet like a good sized Tsarovite you could get more. Very unlikely that you will find one of any size - they really are rare.

Garnets are very common worldwide. The cost of the cut "gem" is more about the cost to cut it than about the value of the rough stone. If you can cut garnets yourself and you have a ready supply of quality garnet rough you could get prices like this. I seriously doubt you could pay for materials much less labor at those prices.

John had the best idea to get value for garnets. :thumbsup: Sell them as part of the natural gems you found with the gold you are selling.

Heavy Pans

Some on your link are gorgeous. I have never found any that size and clear. Just small (pinhead-sized) clear ones.

Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread