Grass valley Nevada county help!!!

goldninja32

Jul 15, 2015
grass valley
Detector(s) used
Prospector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello, patrick here. I am new to panning. i live in the middle of a gold country. i have a gold mine less then a mile away, three creeks run thru my property, one dry, one seasonal, and thrid all year round. i panned it few times finding alot of black sand? is that good??? any tips would help! i am planning on building a sluice box. does anyone know of a club or lookin for friends to go pan. i am new and trying to better my life. new hobbies. thanks for ya time good luck out there, never give up!for every dark day a brighter day is ahead. whoop whoop

Upvote 0

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome!! Glad to have you here. I am sure folks from your area will chip in, but for now--did you pan the black sand down enough to see gold? Getting black sand is good, but while I have never found gold without black sand, I have found lots of black sand without any gold in it.

Have you done any research on your area? Having a gold mine near is good; indicates gold has been found there. Is this hard rock or placer (gold in the creeks)? Is the area you are panning open for mineral discovery or do you already own the surface and mineral rights to your property? If you don't own the mineral rights, you may be illegal in your prospecting.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a good chance because of your general are that one of your creeks has gold in it. That mine nearby are you sure it's a gold mine? Is it hard rock for sure or a drift to gravels? You have one of the main things a new guy wants checked off the list access to creeks in a potentially gold bearing area. You can go to my land matters for help. There are some of us close enough to you to let you check out different sluice boxes ...detectors and free advice.

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Free advice includes helping you to figure which of your creeks have gold in them and how to work them. Sir I am at your service.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold Ninja, you forgot to mention that the Idaho/Maryland mine is just outside of the city limits. You are in the heart of Gold couuntry, but that doesn't mean that there is Gold of paying quanties in the various creeks, It used to be milky from the ground materiel.

the creek that runs parallel to the town/ highway used to carry cynaided run off. The Idaho/Maryland mine was the first lode/vein mine..

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The BLM rec area up from the Purdone Crossing has the absolute best gold publically available, The massive Yuba channel-aka River of Gold-crosses between Purdone and nelson upstream. As always hit the creeks/rivers between the hi/lo water marks as erosion,tree falls,landsldes ALL work for you, Hit bedrock and tear them apart. We dredged that area for a few years and by god MAY pounds came freely BUT massive boulder to move. LOCK up everything in the parking lot as always thiefs are a problem in the motherlode-. I've got dozen of emails thanking me for telling folks about this righteous area as replenishment is key to success-John

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab E-Trac, Whites GMT, Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, I am visiting Grass Valley for a couple of weeks and will surely give this area a try. Do you think it's worth using a metal detector there? Not sure if I should haul the sluice or the ATX. If I'm reading the map correctly, it appears the BLM area is upstream from the State Park which is only hands and pans.
Thanks!

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold Ninja, you forgot to mention that the Idaho/Maryland mine is just outside of the city limits. You are in the heart of Gold couuntry, but that doesn't mean that there is Gold of paying quanties in the various creeks, It used to be milky from the ground materiel.

the creek that runs parallel to the town/ highway used to carry cynaided run off. The Idaho/Maryland mine was the first lode/vein mine..

Idaho Maryland can't touch the Empire. Comes in second though. It's hard to NOT find gold in that area. Gold worth digging up? That's the key.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hello, patrick here. I am new to panning. i live in the middle of a gold country. i have a gold mine less then a mile away, three creeks run thru my property, one dry, one seasonal, and thrid all year round. i panned it few times finding alot of black sand? is that good??? any tips would help! i am planning on building a sluice box. does anyone know of a club or lookin for friends to go pan. i am new and trying to better my life. new hobbies. thanks for ya time good luck out there, never give up!for every dark day a brighter day is ahead. whoop whoop

Black sand is always where gold is, but gold is not always where black sand is. They are old friends. It's a good sign. Check that sand for super tiny gold too and get really good and comfy with that pan!

Why build a sluice when there's a hardware store that sells them in that area? Or even better, pick up a Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice! Less building... more digging!

Yes, there is a club in Auburn called the Auburn Gold Hounds. Google their name and their website will come up or they are on Facebook as well. Great people!

You have a hard rock mine, or a placer claim? Both?

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey John, I am visiting Grass Valley for a couple of weeks and will surely give this area a try. Do you think it's worth using a metal detector there? Not sure if I should haul the sluice or the ATX. If I'm reading the map correctly, it appears the BLM area is upstream from the State Park which is only hands and pans.
Thanks!

Yes, but the dirt is red with iron and hot rocks abound. Keep an eye out for quartz specimens.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
another good public place on the north yuba is just south of Dobbins when you hit town take lake frances road all the way to the powerhouse walk down past and up to the bend gold all over look for rocks that have rustyness to them dig under 'em.

OP
OP
G

goldninja32

Jul 15, 2015
grass valley
Detector(s) used
Prospector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you all for you time and advice! much love. yes i own all rights & and yes up the hill is a real gold mine shaft. pm me if you would like to get together id love to further my prospecting. also i would like to build my own box, only for the reason is budget. however if i decide to take the amazing hobby to the next level i plan to buy couple and a Bazooka Gold Trap, ive seen the inventors videos it looks amazing. im just not in it for the money im in it for the clean hearty fun. idle handles kill with a person like me. "a busy bee has no time for sorrows"
thanks once more from everyone!!!!

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab E-Trac, Whites GMT, Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip Gilded. Took the ATX out yesterday and you sure are correct about the hot rocks! Ground balancing a must. I went on the MRDS database looked for past mines with Quartz. Now to locate tailings. Researching is have the fun��

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thank you all for you time and advice! much love. yes i own all rights & and yes up the hill is a real gold mine shaft. pm me if you would like to get together id love to further my prospecting. also i would like to build my own box, only for the reason is budget. however if i decide to take the amazing hobby to the next level i plan to buy couple and a Bazooka Gold Trap, ive seen the inventors videos it looks amazing. im just not in it for the money im in it for the clean hearty fun. idle handles kill with a person like me. "a busy bee has no time for sorrows"
thanks once more from everyone!!!!

Might have to take you up on that! I'll even bring my bazooka if you want to play with one in person.

Hillbilly69

Sep 22, 2015
Grass Valley, Ca
Detector(s) used
Royal Sabre (an oldie, but a goodie while the batteries last!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hit me up via email. Maybe we can get some gold in our pans. I've got a couple of fun spots that get color and aren't far from us.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like we should have a unified outing. [emoji4]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions