At what point do I stop washing black sand out of my pan?

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran material through my sluce and then I started panning. After a while I realized that there was a lot of black sand (more than a cup). Am I supposed to keep washing it away until I get it down to a small amount? Or should I have kept the sand for any reason? I guess I'm afraid that I could lose super fine gold by washing it out.

I'm new

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Myself being a F.O.G., when I went out id always screen the big stuff off and try to pan off most of the blonds at the creek side. I did this at the end of every day to keep from possibly leaveing anything in my sluice. this keeps anyone from takeing /dumping my days work! And I don't end up with a big load to carry back to my truck when done. I used to go out for 2 weeks at a time...... Maybe this Summer ill be able to get back with it!

Well, I hope this is the summer you make it !!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop right around here

Attachments

• 1451102291533.jpg
    1451102291533.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 111

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being a FOG is bad, but being a FFOG is really bad. I pan down to black sand then beat the side of my pan into submission until the gold is on one side and most black sand is somewhere else. X3 equals a processed pan.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I'm pretty confident in my panning skills now but when I was starting, I would pan my concentrates into a safety pan until I got all the black sands (usually 3-4 times through) and dump into a small bucket creating super concentrates to run through my blue bowl later. That's a thing of the past now. As you develop your technique, you'll gain confidence. after a good day, I end up with about a quart of material to classify and run through the Blue Bowl.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty confident in my panning skills now but when I was starting, I would pan my concentrates into a safety pan until I got all the black sands (usually 3-4 times through) and dump into a small bucket creating super concentrates to run through my blue bowl later. That's a thing of the past now. As you develop your technique, you'll gain confidence. after a good day, I end up with about a quart of material to classify and run through the Blue Bowl.

They recommend a 750 GPH pump for the blue bowl, Is that what you are using?

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple of other things. Careful with magnets as they can trap gold with the magnetic black sand, especially where there is quite a bit of black sand and really fine gold. Also, some guys roast their black sands to release additional trapped gold.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of other things. Careful with magnets as they can trap gold with the magnetic black sand, especially where there is quite a bit of black sand and really fine gold. Also, some guys roast their black sands to release additional trapped gold.

That's why I draw the magnetic sand up through the water. I "tease" the magnetic sand out without actually touching them with the magnet It helps to allow any trapped gold to drop out. Then I will run the magnetic sands through my rod mill to crush them. Shake and Bake (aka roast and quench) the crushed magnetics and then run everything over a miller table to get that micron gold out.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like washing any black sand out of my pan when working with sluice concentrates. Therefore I use a catch pan. It's easy to get rusty and lose some surprisingly large flakes if you don't do it every day.
When running sluice cons or production panning I prefer to put them all in a gatoraid bottle with a funnel and pan down when I get home.
I suggest never panning more than a quarter cup at a time when panning cons.

That's how I do it, can't speak for anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread