IS THE PROCESS THE SAME FOR SAMPLING OPPOSED TO PANNING A KNOWN SOURCE?

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm relatively new to all of this.
Right now I am strictly sampling material from my property. I run it through a sluce then I pan it out. My question is do I pan sample material the same way I would a known source? I think I take way too long (I'm working on building the confidence to pan faster). At this sampling stage (I have yet to find a speck) I feel like I should move faster, after all, I'm sampling an area I have yet to find anything. Right or wrong?

I know a lot of people are going to suggest that I go to a known gold bearing area, and I could through my GPAA membership. But I don't want to, I'm dead set on discovering my own source. I'm really into geology, I like to identify and study rocks as well as the geological history of an area. For me, I like the hunt, that's what I love about this. After I determine whether or not I have gold on my 20-acre metamorphic mountain, then I will systematically search the BLM land within walking distance. I'm really trying to speed up my processes right now.

Pan faster sampling?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kansas hasn't been explored much. Probably a bunch of nuggets just waiting for eager newbies there.

You might try Iowa. I hear they haven't found much there either.

There have been years of experience offering help on this thread.
Probably best to ignore all that and pan sand until the cows come home.

Hey! Maybe the cows know stuff successful prospectors don't? Ask a cow. :cat:

Empty Pans don't make successful prospectors.
Heavy Pans do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
White's GMZ twin D-Gold Master (shrapnel & casing finder) Garrett pin pointer at
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kansas hasn't been explored much. Probably a bunch of nuggets just waiting for eager newbies there.

You might try Iowa. I hear they haven't found much there either.

There have been years of experience offering help on this thread.
Probably best to ignore all that and pan sand until the cows come home.

Hey! Maybe the cows know stuff successful prospectors don't? Ask a cow. :cat:

Empty Pans don't make successful prospectors.
Heavy Pans do. :thumbsup:

Clay- always digging. How are you going to knock or mock a guy who simply wants to go out his front door and properly test his own land? My original question was simply about panning, I didn't ask where to pan. Do I sound frustrated, no, I'm having a great time exploring and learning. Once I thoroughly process my land, maybe then I'll drive somewhere (join a herd and pan until the cows come home). I just don't get the sarcasm toward someone having fun. I'm not trying to get rich, I'm already a billionaire. Thanks

Just kidding about the biilionaire part, only a mil.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for misunderstanding Geolover.

Where I live we KNOW there is very little gold, just ground up glacial stuff for all they say. Still, I think it's fun to look and I have found some small specks. You kind of live where there is lots of gold nearby, if its on your property that's a sweet deal.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What your saying you want to do just doesn't include the word "properly" in it anywhere no matter how much you try to insert it. That is the point were trying to make. Because of the reason your learning to pan you just plain aren't doing it right. California is a gold bearing area. Starting at your front door and just processing dirt to see what is there,is about the slowest most backwards way you could learn to prospect, learn to pan and try to find out where gold is in a gold bearing area. Sometimes giving some one who is hard headed is at the least more fun when you give them a hard time. It sounded like you wanted to be better at panning. Figured you would need to know why you should even be panning in the first place. I guess since you know at least half of everything and are rich you got me beat and my advice pointless. have fun exploring. I have heard that putting a burlap sack with vasaline on it. Held up by a frame. Is a good way too check for gold in areas that are generally gold bearing. As the wind blows the material around small particles of gold will stick. If you set up enough you can tell by which side has more gold the direction of a disseminated deposit. you have to pay attention to which way the wind blows...But, maybe it will help you have to pan less worthless dirt for no reason.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What your saying you want to do just doesn't include the word "properly" in it anywhere no matter how much you try to insert it. That is the point were trying to make. Because of the reason your learning to pan you just plain aren't doing it right. California is a gold bearing area. Starting at your front door and just processing dirt to see what is there,is about the slowest most backwards way you could learn to prospect, learn to pan and try to find out where gold is in a gold bearing area. Sometimes giving some one who is hard headed is at the least more fun when you give them a hard time. It sounded like you wanted to be better at panning. Figured you would need to know why you should even be panning in the first place. I guess since you know at least half of everything and are rich you got me beat and my advice pointless. have fun exploring. I have heard that putting a burlap sack with vasaline on it. Held up by a frame. Is a good way too check for gold in areas that are generally gold bearing. As the wind blows the material around small particles of gold will stick. If you set up enough you can tell by which side has more gold the direction of a disseminated deposit. you have to pay attention to which way the wind blows...But, maybe it will help you have to pan less worthless dirt for no reason.

I know it's fun to give me a hard time, esp since I'm so hard-headed. And I do respect all of you seasoned prospectors (especially Clay-dude's a brain). I just gotta give a little back. I also recognise that your suggestions are in good faith. Still gonna test my property and when I find a speck, I'm going to say I told you so.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is another member of this forum who has found gold, not a lot but at least colors, by processing black sands from his driveway, and a nearby wash, etc. The area is on a plateau or alluvial plain within a few miles of some old mines and there was a very minor placer associated with it according to my reading of the area. The miners of yore were looking to make a living or a killing on any gold found, so if they prospected this particular area or, as in your case, your area and found not enough gold to justify exploiting it, they moved on. Only looking for colors to satisfy your curiosity.....have a ball. You just don't know what you don't know.

Good luck

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is another member of this forum who has found gold, not a lot but at least colors, by processing black sands from his driveway, and a nearby wash, etc. The area is on a plateau/alluvial plain within a few miles of some old mines and there was a very minor placer close to the mines that was worked according to my reading of the area. The prospectors of yore were looking to make a living or a killing on any gold found, so if they prospected your area and found no gold OR not enough gold to justify exploiting it, they moved on. Only looking for colors to satisfy your curiosity(?).....then have a ball. You just don't know what you don't know.

Good luck

Sorry for the double post, I tried to edit the original one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I apologize for misunderstanding Geolover.

Where I live we KNOW there is very little gold, just ground up glacial stuff for all they say. Still, I think it's fun to look and I have found some small specks. You kind of live where there is lots of gold nearby, if its on your property that's a sweet deal.

Thank you for the encouragement. Yes, that would be a sweet deal. I know, highly unlikely, but still how cool would that be. Got the day off tomorrow going to start my systematic search.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is another member of this forum who has found gold, not a lot but at least colors, by processing black sands from his driveway, and a nearby wash, etc. The area is on a plateau or alluvial plain within a few miles of some old mines and there was a very minor placer associated with it according to my reading of the area. The miners of yore were looking to make a living or a killing on any gold found, so if they prospected this particular area or, as in your case, your area and found not enough gold to justify exploiting it, they moved on. Only looking for colors to satisfy your curiosity.....have a ball. You just don't know what you don't know.

Good luck

Thank you. I think you make a good point. Even though miners in this area (I'm talking walking distance from my property) didn't continue to mine. It seems logical that there just wasn't enough gold to warrant all the hard work. There are some pretty good sized mine shafts, most of it looks to be done by hand. I couldn't imagine going in or down 60 feet through hard rock without finding something. Considering that all of this is so close, is it really all that stupid for me try this area? Thanks, I really do appreciate your words.

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Good luck

Kevin, I see that you liked arizau's post. I was wondering, where do you live?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geolover,

You seem to not want to get involved with your local GPAA Chapter. You have face to face contact with any number of people that could show you EXACTLY what you want to learn. I am getting the impression that you want to know some of the basics first. Sort of like getting in some kind of shape before actually going into a gym. HAHAHA

This may sound a bit silly at first, but if you want to learn to pan with a bunch of other people that don't know either, take a day and go to Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park:

KNOTTS BERRY FARM GOLD PANNING

They will teach you how to pan, and you can even find a little color (likely salted).

If I am mistaken, then what you are describing as wanting to do is the VERY LONG way to beat around that bush.

I could tell you that when I am exploring a new area, I always have a small black horn spoon (a spoon made from the horn of a bull or ox). I use it to sample very small areas (riffles in dry streambeds etc). If I am in a place known to have produced, I explore with a small pan. If I am where gold is still being found, I start with a big pan. The small pan and spoon are quick and you don't spend a lot of time panning, but they will show you if there is gold to be had. Big pans let you process a lot of gravel/sand, but they take longer to fill, classify, then pan.

What I don't understand is that you live in Temecula and are interested in prospecting for gold, but don't know about the town of Julian (not 30 miles from you), that had one of Southern California's Biggest Gold Rushes. Maybe the (currently off limits) Chocolate Mountain Bombing Range that contains one of the largest untapped gold deposits in North America?

Best of Luck - Mike

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember what I said about nor knowing what happened east and southeast of you....Gollum just let the cat out of the bag.....Thanks Gollum !!!!!! ;)

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a member of GPAA. I frequently visit American Prospectors in Temecula to ask them a bunch of questions and buy product. But you're right I could use a little more hands on training. I retain the gold that I place in my sluice and pan, just gotta build confidence so I can process more. Practice, Practice, Practice... You are right about seeing it first hand.
The part about your post that I found most interesting is the spoon and smaller pan method. I could get more samples accomplished, and I kinda like those smaller pans. I like that, smaller, specific samples. Great advice for what I'm trying to do (test/sample). I have a day off tomorrow so I'm starting my search!

I was just in Julian for Thanksgiving, I wanna go back and check out the mine. It's a cool town. Didn't know about the Chocolate Mountain Bombing Range. Thanks for the advice and best of luck to you as well.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to Idyllwild, CA on Christmas. I seem to recall a couple of GPAA claims in the area. I'm going to break out my membership card and check one out. How's that for progress?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remember what I said about nor knowing what happened east and southeast of you....Gollum just let the cat out of the bag.....Thanks Gollum !!!!!! ;)

Thanks Gollum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I'm in the south suburbs of Denver Colorado. We have gold in most of the creeks in my part of town. My driveway is paved but. I found a few specks in the little creek at the back edge of my backyard :). ...just specks but still!

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in the south suburbs of Denver Colorado. We have gold in most of the creeks in my part of town. My driveway is paved but. I found a few specks in the little creek at the back edge of my backyard :). ...just specks but still!

Kevin in Colorado I was asking where you live as a joke. The funny thing is that when you replied about F.O.G. (other thread), I thought you were pissed like that jokes getting fn old guy. I was writing an apology response when I realized my confusion.
Hey, I would take "just specks" that's cool that you found gold on your property and around your town. Do you prospect full time? I see you on this forum quite a bit and usually like what you have to say or contribute. This thing is kind of adictive.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Kevin lives in Colorado in the south Denver metro area. I am answering since I don't know when Kevin might get back to the thread, since it is getting close to Christmas and some of us still have shopping to get completed.

I, BTW, live a bit further south of Kevin; just due east of the south end of the Air Force Academy at the north end of Colorado springs with a great view to the west of Pikes Peak. :)

Sorry, Kevin, if I stepped on your toes. Merry Christmas to all here on Treasure Net.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin lives in Colorado in the south Denver metro area. I am answering since I don't know when Kevin might get back to the thread, since it is getting close to Christmas and some of us still have shopping to get completed.

I, BTW, live a bit further south of Kevin; just due east of the south end of the Air Force Academy at the north end of Colorado springs with a great view to the west of Pikes Peak. :)

Sorry, Kevin, if I stepped on your toes. Merry Christmas to all here on Treasure Net.

As usual, I should have read all the thread before I jumped in with both feet. It is about 50 miles to where Kevin can pan in creeks near his house. Me--that is the closest. You are lucky with places only 30 miles away (though not as much as Kevin).

OP
OP
G

geolover

Dec 5, 2015
Temecula
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I guess my joke wasn't so obvious- you see, where Kevin lives is in his username KevinINCOLORADO Sorry guess that wasn't funny, Although I still think it was, but I'm hard-headed. By the way, Colorado is a beautiful state.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess my loke wasn't so obvious- you see, where Kevin lives is in his username KevinINCOLORADO Sorry guess that wasn't funny, Although I still think it was, but I'm hard-headed. By the way, Colorado is a beautiful state.

Ooooh, now I get it! Candidly, I sorta forgot about the meaning of my name, it's just a name now.

My handle mentions Colorado because back when I joined tnet it seemed like almost 100% of the gold prospecting related participants were from CA. It's much more diverse now of course :-D

I was quite thrilled when there started being other contributors from along the CO front range!!

PS I agree it's a beautiful state, that's why my wife and I quit our jobs to move here back in the 80's!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread