In a pinch, I like the bottom of a beer can! :laughing7:

IMG_2838.JPG

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda like this one.................

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett super sluice if just panning seems to cut through the material the quickest and is large enough to fill with quite a bit of material and allowing less trips to and from the water. If I'm not using that if be reaching for my gpaa green pan. I have a bunch of cheap black pans and they are just used more as collection pans or for others to use.

T

Tuolumne

I like a super sluice green pan because my smaller bazooka can be dumped right into it for final cleanup, and I can dry pan too.

But Im best at panning technique when I use my 11" Jobe 1849 gold pan. Its smaller but I get more sensitivity when Im concentrating on keeping all my fines....

Its got deep riffles, a sharp drop off in the bottom of the pan to hold the gold, then on the opposite side there is a rough texture to the plastic thats great for final cleanup to get rid of the blondes and before revealing the gold from the black sands. The rough texture is key.

Best part is it fits into my 5 gallon bucket so I can dip it in and save the concentrates and re pan anything that got bullied out.

Ive got a red roaring camp gold saver but the plastic is very smooth, hard to season, and it would be better if they matted the finish or gave it some texture.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not my favorite, but unique even for it's time.
Patented in 1957, this original 'Kress' pan was used once by myself just to prove that it worked.
Made in Clarkston, Washington for use on the small gold of the Snake and Clearwater rivers.
I did a write up on this pan back in May 2011. See the write up and pics of the gold at my BLOG.
1957 kress pan 2.jpg

Bob

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Ive got a red roaring camp gold saver but the plastic is very smooth, hard to season, and it would be better if they matted the finish or gave it some texture.

I found a green one of those in the creek behind my house. There was a big chip missing from the side opposite the riffles. Still usable. And if you're wondering, yes, there is gold in that creek, really fine , the finest i've come across yet, and some pickers too.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Not my favorite, but unique even for it's time.
Patented in 1957, this original 'Kress' pan was used once by myself just to prove that it worked.
Made in Clarkston, Washington for use on the small gold of the Snake and Clearwater rivers.
I did a write up on this pan back in May 2011. See the write up and pics of the gold at my BLOG.
View attachment 1257320

Bob
I read the article that you wrote on your blog. That Kress pan is awesome! Very nice blog!

My favorite pan is any pan with a small slot or hole where the bottom meets the side. I cover the hole with my index finger, stratify well, remove my finger for a second or two and poop the gold and some black sands into another pan.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the Le Trap Square Pan. The forward and back movement is easier and quicker in my opinion.

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Garrett Gravity Trap and the Garrett Super Sluice. Anything else is a waste of time and money, in my honest opinion (unless it's for decor or something).

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like big pans and I cannot lie. The 15" Garrett Super Sluice and their 14" standard pan are my fave. I don't really like black pans as I like the contrast of the green. I like the texture of the Garretts as well, they have some bite.

Also good for lunch!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452313967.682838.jpg

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like big pans and I cannot lie. The 15" Garrett Super Sluice and their 14" standard pan are my fave. I don't really like black pans as I like the contrast of the green. I like the texture of her Garretts as well, they have some bite.

Also good for lunch!

View attachment 1257909

:headbang::headbang:

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the garret and I also like the cheap black ones common to sporting goods stores.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , my favorite pan is the one thats full of gold LOL. :occasion14: I have several 14" pans and the Garrett super sluice would be my favorite . I did get sucked into 1 of the turbo pans , I just have to try it .:BangHead:

Slow pan

Greenie
Dec 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have started using the Garret super sluice as my main pan.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a bunch of pans. I really dislike the Turbo-pan, it cracked before I could make it work, and it was expensive too. The Le Trap is great for roughing down dirt but is terrible at finish panning. The thumb notch at the back makes short work of dumping cons into a jar. I really like the 12 inch green keene pan with the drop bottom, it's very durable plastic and works well, I just wish it was available in larger sizes, they make a bigger one but it doesn't have a drop bottom. I like the drop bottom on super fine gold. The cheap black plastic pans with narrow drop bottoms work quite well on talc size gold. My favorite general purpose pans are the steel 16" Estwing and the Garrett super sluice. I really like big wide bottom pans. I wish the Estwing had steeper sides. The super sluice is a very comfortable pan to work and it is quite durable. It doesn't sag under a heavy load of dirt. The big Estwing is my #1 favorite, I feel confident in its use and I feel some sort of connection to the past operating it, I'm a big history buff. I would love to get my hands on a gold rush era 18+" 5 piece sheet iron washing dish with the rolled grip under the rim.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Le Trap square pan is the fastest in my opinion and actually is amazing at finishing when you know how to use it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453595825.426346.jpg

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok , So I just got a couple of the turbo pans as a really late Christmas gift . I was wondering if anyone has used them at all . They look like they would be a pain to use , but I'll have to give them a try . I guess at worst I can put the fines in them at the bottom of my panning rig , so I don't lose any .

goldhuntertim

Mar 16, 2014
west columbia sc.
Detector(s) used
org. gold bug ,prism 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HERE ARE MY TWO FAVORITE PANS THE KEENE10" TO GET ALL THE HEAVY CONS. THEN USE THE SMALLER RIFFLES TO GET MOST OF THE BLACK CONS. THEN PUT IT IN THE BLACK PAN TO TAKE IT FARTHER DOWN AND TO SEE THE GOLD BETTER flour gold-4.png

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love those 10" Keene pans for cons too...a nice smooth bottom ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread