Soil profile

Riverjay

Greenie
Jan 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiya guys, just wondering could someone explain this soil profile and wither or not it shows an old river bed, or perhaps just the deposits of the current river as it flooded over a few 100 years. The river runs at the bottom of the bank and is fairly small unless it's flooding. IMG_20151216_141603474-480x853.jpg

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't see any beds/layers of rounded stones which would indicate an old river bed. It looks to me that your creek just found the easiest way to drain and cut through the layers of soil and rock in this area. Is there a hill that extends above the cut bank?

OP
OP
R

Riverjay

Greenie
Jan 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's on flat ground with a gradual gradient up hill. I was just curious as to how the different layers formed. The land in this area is boggy.

Thank you for the reply

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The water has a reddish tint to it which usually indicates iron and the black rocks at the bottom look like slate/shale. As far as gold is concerned one would like to see that slate/shale layer turned on edge which would indicate some type of metamorphosis. It never hurts to process a couple of panfulls.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a bench deposit. look at the layers. that oxidized layer was put there by flowing water. I see water worn rock also. Deposits like that close to a current waterway in gold bearing areas can be very productive. Sample each layer. Especially where they touch. that rusty lay will have a lot of black sand and square angular sulfides. that blue layer depending on where you are could be a good thing for you especially with a lot of quartz present!!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You never mentioned whether you've found gold in this creek already.
I also see a potential bench deposit. As Goldwasher said, sample each layer and especially where the different layers contact each other. I can see 2 redish layers, my bet goes those will be the best bet, but check it out from the grass line to the river level. Good luck :thumbsup:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
That's most likely an eroded and redistributed alluvial deposit. The shape of the stones says that this is not a loading zone. These areas have very round river washed aggregate.
Your pic shows irregular non planar layers of soil.
This says that the existing soils were eroded prior to deposition. Floods cause this. As did periglacial geomorphology. After erosion the receding water would deposit aggregate in irregular layers around and existing soils.
The degree of cementation of the soil will tell you if its glacial or from flooding. As mentioned before. Look for "lenses" of round non angular rocks as well as false bedrock or hardpan. That could be a great spot.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks tasty! Start sampling!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen benches like that on smaller drainages. No glacial influence. mix eluvial rock of layers of flood material. But those rusted layers alluvial not eluvial.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is that black diagonal line in the left, upper half of the image? A root? Almost looks like embedded plastic sheeting, which would indicate flash flood or landslide debris.

OP
OP
R

Riverjay

Greenie
Jan 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replys, very interesting to get a breakdown on how the soil levels formed.

I took a sample from each layer but actually found very little black sand. Some geologists have previously taken samples from this area and have told me that the Gold is present in pyrite. There is a lot of of pyrite in this area,the streams are literally full of shinny 'golden' flakes.

Hamfist: that black line is actually an ancient root.

I am Irish and in the last 2 years there has been a push to explore for minerals in Ireland. A large study has been conducted on the boarder counties

http://www.tellus.ie/ground-survey/

If you click on the Data Heading you will get into the map. There is a lot of data, and it can take a few mins to get the hang of it.

Click Layer control and tick "stream sediment sample location"
Click Geochemistry and tick "streamsediment" then in the browse search icon you can enter gold etc.

The site can be a bit slow but I think it might be interesting for some of the members.

Later today I will take a few pictures of a dense vein of red quartz, to get some opinions.

Thank you for all the info

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Most states have done a soil survey . this publication for your state is availiable through your states for a cost. this publication shows what the soil make up is on a topo map of the area. In my state (Misery) it shows glacial till and soild that I may be interested in while in my search for gold and other stuff! It might be helpful to look for this publications from your state. ask for the list of publications that we have already paid someone to do for us!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering.....
What state is the deposit located?

GG~

OP
OP
R

Riverjay

Greenie
Jan 10, 2016
Primary Interest: